Salt Lake County

Home Page

About Us

News and Information

Lost/Found a Pet?


Community Relations and Education

Rescue and Foster Programs

Volunteer Opportunities


Animal Laws and Ordinances

Feral Cats / TNR Program

Additional Resources

Shelter Hours of Operation
Monday - Saturday
10:00am - 6:00pm
Closed Sundays and Holidays
Phone: 385-GOT-PETS
Fax: 385-468-6028
Officer Dispatch: 801-743-7045
Our telephone switchboard is available Monday - Friday during regular business hours

Salt Lake County Animal Services
511 W 3900 S
Salt Lake City, Utah  84123

E-mail general questions to:

For animal-related complaints, call dispatch

Visit us on Facebook -

Facebook - SLCoAS Page Facebook - Pit Crew Page Facebook - Cat Crusaders Page
xx banner image
Veterinary ServicesDonationsCalendar of EventsThe Pit Crew - Pit Bull ProgramSpay and Neuter Information

Pet Licensing

Who Needs to License with Salt Lake County Animal Services?

If you live in...

  • Herriman: all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed
  • Holladay: all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed
  • Midvale: all dogs and cats must be licensed
  • Riverton: all dogs must be licensed
  • Salt Lake City: all dogs and cats must be licensed
  • Unincorporated Salt Lake County: all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed

***Pet owners must license by the time the pet is five months of age or within 30 days of moving into an area or acquiring the pet.***

Need licensing information for other Utah areas? Check out our list of local city offices/shelters (pdf, 36kB).

A pet license has benefits for you, the pet owner.

  • A license is the best way we have to reunite you with your dog if he/she becomes lost
  • A pet wearing a license tag can quickly and easily be identified and returned to you
  • If your pet is found by one of our officers seriously injured and you could not be immediately contacted, the license would guarantee that he/she would be taken to a veterinarian for emergency care
This can mean the difference between life and death for a badly injured animal, which unfortunately we receive almost daily at the shelter

How do I license my pet?

There are 3 ways to license your pet:

  1. In person - come on down to the shelter with your animal's paperwork and you can walk away with their license in-hand.
  2. Through the mail - mail in a filled-out copy of the application form (pdf, 303kB) with appropriate vaccination, sterilization, and microchip certificates (and the license fee) to the address on the form.
    • Applicants for senior citizen licenses must also include proof of age
    • Make checks out to: Salt Lake County Treasurer
  3. Online - for your convenience, we also offer licensing online.
    1. First read through the details of online licensing (we cannot give refunds if you purchase the wrong license)
    2. Fill out the online application
    3. Pay the licensing fee with a valid debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express)
    4. Fax, e-mail, mail, or bring in proof of vaccination, sterilization, microchip, and proof of age (for senior citizen licenses) to us (see below for contact information)
    5. When all paperwork has been received and the fees have been paid, your license and receipts will be mailed to you. If paperwork is not received within 30 days, your license will expire and you'll need to restart the licensing process (and repay the licensing fees)

Licensing Department Contact Information:

Do you have questions about licensing your animal? Do you need the address, fax number, and/or e-mail address to send your documentation to?

Phone: 385-468-6022

Fax: 385-468-6029



Salt Lake County Animal Services
Attn: Licensing
511 West 3900 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84123
A license is your pet's phone call home.