Do You Want to Help the Animals?
The Salt Lake County Animal Services Volunteer Program exists to support and enhance the goals of our shelter:
- Serve our customers
- Reunite lost pets with their owners
- Increase the number of licensed pets in our jurisdictions
- Increase the number of shelter adoptions
- Ensure that people who adopt pets from our shelter are happy with their adoptions
- Keep our shelter animals healthy, clean, safe, and happy
- Encourage responsible pet ownership which includes licensing, spaying/neutering, and understanding the relevant local ordinances
To get started, please watch our online training presentation (pdf, 604kB). After viewing the presentation, fill out and e-mail the questionnaire (pdf, 177kB)to our volunteer coordinator (using links in the questionnaire) and she will contact you to set up a one-on-one meeting for your initial training.
To save time at your one-on-one meeting, please print and bring a completed and signed volunteer application (pdf, 88kB) with you. If you do not have access to a printer, you may fill out the application at your appointment.
List of Duties
We are always in need of volunteers to help us at the shelter and at events in the community. On-going volunteer activities include:
- Exercising and socializing animals
- Grooming and training
- Preparing treats and toys
- Photographing, writing, and networking about our animals up for adoption
Special projects may include:
- Facilities maintenance
- Outreach and educational campaigns
- Much, much more
Community Service Workers
If you need hours for court-mandated Community Service, we want your help. Our Community Service program involves helping clean kennels. Hours are available every day of the week (early morning shifts only). This program will not involve direct contact with the animals.
Call us at 385-GOT-PETS (385-468-7387) for further information about community service.