Home > Small Claims
The Small Claims division of the Salt Lake County Justice Court is designated to settle monetary legal issues and problems arising from contractual, service disputes and other claims.
- The maximum amount you may sue for in a small claims action is $10,000.
- Small Claims court is less formal and you do not need an attorney to represent you.
- The filing fees are due at the time you file the affidavit.
- A small claims court allows an individual or business to be compensated by a party who has not performed according to an agreement or who had committed some wrongdoing.
- Small Claims cases are governed by Utah Code title 78, chapter 6. The rules for Small Claims can be found in the Utah Court Rules annotated, Utah Rules of Small Claims Procedure.
- Small Claims Court is Usually held Thursdays at 9:00 am