Lead Safe Housing
Lead Safe Housing2001 S State Street S2-810PO Box 144575Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4575385.468.4892 / Email
A blood test is the only way to tell if a child has been poisoned by lead. Usually, a “finger poke” is all that is needed to initially test for lead poisoning. If blood level results are high, however, an additional blood draw may be taken to confirm results. Early detection means early intervention.
Before eating or sleeping, thoroughly wash your child’s hands to reduce the chance of lead dust entering their mouth. Also, clean your child’s toys regularly, especially those used on the floor and on the ground.
A proper diet helps children grown and reduces the effects of lead. Make sure their diet contains foods high in Iron and Calcium. Nutrition Tips Flyer [ English | Spanish]
When renting of purchasing a home, ask detailed questions about when the home was built (lead paint was commonly used until 1978) and ask if the property has been inspected for lead. In older homes, choose homes or apartments with replacement (vinyl) windows.
Special cleaning techniques can reduce the amount of lead dust in your home. Especially after any renovation work that disturbs painted surfaces in homes build before 1978. Cleaning Tips Flyer [English | Spanish]
Salt Lake Housing Program can help make your home Lead Safe for no cost to qualifying properties. Find out if you qualify for free services.