Salt Lake County Find It
Public Works Department banner image

Public Works Department

Frequently Asked Questions - Landfill and Recycling

Is there a recycling drop-off site at the Landfill?

Yes, we have a drop-off site for recyclables located just west of the Scalehouse.

We accept:

  • Plastic numbers 1 through 7
  • Aluminum and steel cans
  • All paper products
  • Corrugated cardboard
  • Clear, green and brown glass

This side is open only during business hours Monday through Saturday 7am - 5pm.

The landfill address is 6030 West California Ave.

No fee is required to recycle.

Call 385-468-6370 for more information.

Is there a recycling drop-off site at the Salt Lake Transfer Station?

Yes we have a drop-off site at the Transfer Station.

This location accepts:

  • Plastic containers, numbers 1 through 7 
  • Aluminum and steel cans
  • All paper products and cardboard
  • Clear, green and brown glass

This side is open only during business hours, Mon-Fri 8am - 4pm, Sat 8-11am

Residents are not allowed to bring trash for dumping to the transfer station.

Do you have tours of your facility?

Yes, we love showing off the landfill and discussing how to lengthen its life through recycling.

Please call 385.468.6370 for more information or to schedule your tour or presentation.

Do you have compost for sale at your facility?

Yes, the Landfill has an all green-waste compost product for sale:

  • Compost is recommended as an amendment to the soil to help enrich, break down clay, improve drainage, and improve water holding capacity.
  • Additional fertilizer is recommended if used in areas with sensitive plants or vegetable gardens.
  • Call (385) 468-6370 for pricing and more information. Or visit (
Can I bring Household Hazardous Waste to your location?

Yes, you can bring your Household Hazardous Waste to the Landfill (explosives and radioactive materials are not accepted).

No fee is required for this material as long as you do not have any other garbage with it and you are a citizen of Salt Lake County.

Businesses and non-county residents are required to pay a fee.

Hours are 8-4 Mon-Sat Call (385) 468-3862 for more information

Can I bring refrigerators, freezers, or air conditioners to the Landfill?

Yes, the Landfill accepts refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioners

We have Waste Inspectors that are trained to remove the Freon from these products, free of charge.

We do ask that you remove all food products from the units.

Regular fees apply. Call (385) 468-6370 for more information.

Can I bring computers to the Landfill?

Yes, computers are accepted at the Landfill.  Electronic waste such as computers, televisions, cell phones, printers, fax machines, etc. are accepted at our Household Hazardous Waste facility here at the Landfill.

There is not a fee for residents of Salt Lake County.  There is a fee charged for businesses and non-residents.

Hours are 8-4 Mon-Sat. Call (385) 468-3862 for more information