Salt Lake County Find It
xx banner image

Public Works - Planning and Development

Frequently Asked Questions

What are my restrictions for household pets?

Household pets, including quantities and types of animals allowed as pets, are no longer regulated by Planning and Development Services. Contact Animal Services at 385-GOT-PETS (385-468-7387) for more information.


Can I have chickens at my home?

In addition to being allowed in agricultural zones, chickens (domestic fowl) are permitted in single family residential zones on a limited basis subject to approval through Animal Services. To find out what zone you are in, check your address on the County’s GIS map.

More information on chickens, including the number of chickens allowed on your property, can be found in Chapter 8.12 Domestic Fowl of the Salt Lake County Zoning Ordinance. Make sure to get a permit from Animal Services by calling 385-GOT-PETS (385-468-7387).


What kind of fence can I put up?

Planning and Development Services only regulates fence height and material for properties located within the Foothills and Canyons Overlay Zone. To determine if your property is within this zone, check your address on the County’s GIS map. If your property is located within this zone, please contact our division.

If it is not located within this overlay zone, the following regulations apply:

  1. Fences over 6 feet in height require a building permit; fences 6 feet or smaller do not.
  2. Existing easements on your property may restrict where a fence may be built.
  3. Fences must be entirely on your property.
  4. Fences over 2 feet in height cannot be placed within the clear visibility area of a corner lot so as to obstruct the view of motorists. More information can be read in Chapter 19.76.160 of the Salt Lake County Zoning Ordinance.
  5. Utah law requires that you have underground utilities marked on your property prior to digging for any project; including fence post holes. Contact Blue stakes by calling 811.


When do I need a building permit?

See the work exempt from permit page for more information on when a building permit is not needed.


Can I have horses on my property?

Horses are permitted on properties with a minimum lot size of 1 acre and zoned Agricultural, R-1-21, and R-1-43. Properties zoned R-1-21 and R-1-43 can have a maximum of 4 horses for private use only. To find out what zone you are in, check your address on the County’s GIS map.


How can I get a copy of my house plans?

The retention period for house plans is 2 years after the building permit is complete and all inspections have been passed. If it has been longer than 2 years since your house has been built, PDS will not have your house plans and you will need to contact the architect or contractor to receive them.