Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

My Street

How do I obtain a street name approval for a new development?
How can I petition to change an existing street name?
  • If you live in Unincorporated Salt Lake County, Millcreek, or the Metro Townships in the Municipal Service District (Copperton, Emigration Canyon, Kearns, Magna, or White City) please refer to the County ordinance 2.49.080 Street Identification Change to review rules about changing a street name. 
    The person(s) requesting the street name change is responsible for the administrative fees as well as the costs associated with the street signs. 
    Please contact our office to receive more information at (385)468-6760 or
  • If you live in a city you will need to contact your city to request a street name change. For contact information for your city representative, contact us at (385)468-6760.
  • To learn if your proposed street name is already in use please see our list of existing streets.
I live in unincorporated Salt Lake County or a Metro Township (Copperton, Emigration Canyon, Kearns, Magna, or White City) and our street sign has been badly damaged or is missing. What do I do?

Please contact Salt Lake County Public Works Operation Division at (385)468-6101 to report a damaged or missing street sign.

I don’t like using the alphabetic street name; does it matter if I use the street coordinate, instead of the alphabetic street name?

The preference is to use the alphabetic street name for mail and emergency response.

When does a street need to be given an alphabetic street name?

Alphabetic street names should be given to private streets, permanent dead ends, and any street which has intersection coordinates that shift more than five numbers along its entire length. Alphabetic street names should be approved prior to recording of documentation (e.g. subdivision plats and affidavits). For more information visit our street name approval process page.