Silver Pen Writing Contest
"A turning point in my life was when…"
"Once, when no one was looking, I…"
Submit an essay or poem to the Silver Pen Writing Contest!
Choose one of the following themes:
- "A turning point in my life was when…"
- "Once, when no one was looking, I…"
- Or write a personal story of your choice.
Entry Deadline September 2, 2020
One entry per person
- Authors who are 60+ years old.
- Original, unpublished work created during 2020.
- All entries must be less than 500 words.
- If poetry, the submission must be 36 lines or fewer.
- Please note: Exceeding the maximum length will result in disqualification.
- Start with a story or feeling and support it with personal experience and reflection.
- Show, rather than tell.
- Write about what moves you. Include specific sensory details (imagery).
A celebration to announce the winners and recognize the writers will take place in October, if possible.
Date: October (TBA)
Time: 2:00-3:30 pm
Place: Mt. Olympus Senior Center
Please direct questions to:
- Susie Cates: 385-468-3130
- Amy Hackett: 385-468-3155
- Shawn Ashby: 385-468-3040