Foster Grandparents - Supporting at-risk and special needs children
Mentor and tutor special needs children
The Foster Grandparent Program provides an opportunity for limited income seniors to earn a small, tax-free stipend of $2.65 per hour while working with high-risk children in 26 settings. Foster Grandparents serve 20 hours per week working in schools, preschools, and day care centers. They provide mentoring, tutoring and emotional support to high-risk and special needs children.
The Foster Grandparent program is made possible by a federal grant from the Corporation for National and Community Service and is sponsored by Salt Lake County Aging and Adult Services.
To participate as a Foster Grandparent volunteer you must:
- Be at least 55 years of age
- Have a monthly income of $2,010 or less for a single person and $2,706 or less per couple
- Willing and able to serve 20 hours per week
The reimbursement you receive ($2.65/hour) is NOT considered income by law, is non-taxable, and does not reduce other entitlement program benefits such as subsidized housing, Medicaid, food stamps, Social Security or SSI.
Volunteers serve 20 hours per week assisting children with special needs in a variety of settings throughout Salt Lake County including schools, shelters, daycare centers, and crisis centers for parents and children.
- $2.65 per hour stipend (not considered income and does not affect other entitlements such as subsidized housing, food stamps, Medicaid, etc.)
- Mileage reimbursement for use of your vehicle or a free monthly bus pass
- Free annual physical exam
- Excess accident and auto insurance while providing volunteer service
Ability to serve 20 hours per week, 55 years of age or older, monthly income of $2,010 per month or less for a single person household or $2,706 per month or less for a two-person household.
Training and Support
- Orientation training is provided to all volunteers during the first six months of service
- Volunteers also receive monthly in-service training
|Program Assistant:||Linda Daniels|
|Address:||Salt Lake County Aging and Adult Services
Foster Grandparent Program
2001 S State St STE S1-500
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-4575