Fireworks and Your Pets
During July, Salt Lake County Animal Services sees an increase in lost pet’s due to the number of pets who escape from their homes or yards because of the noisy fireworks. Here are a few tips to make sure your pet stays safe this July during this celebratory time for our state.
- Be sure your pet is wearing their ID tag and that their information is up-to date.
- Keep windows and doors closed, we often hear of pets breaking out screens when they get scared.
- Leave your pet at home when you head out to the fireworks display. They would prefer to be at home with a tasty treat or food puzzle.
- Provide a safe place for them to retreat (hide) when the fireworks start going off. Close bedroom doors to prevent them from getting stuck under beds. Take them to the basement, turn on some mellow music, and snuggle with them.
- Take your dog for a walk earlier in the day before the fireworks start going off.
If you find a lost pet, contact Animal Control Dispatch at 801-743-7045 to have an officer come get the animal.
Or bring it to Salt Lake County Animal Services at 511 W 3900 S, SLC, 84123.
Immediately post a photo of the animal and where it was found on Utah Lost and Found Facebook page, Craigslist, KSL.com, and the NextDoor App.
Shelter hours are Monday – Saturday, from 10 AM – 6 PM Animal Services is closed Sundays and will be closed July 4 and July 24.Is your pet lost? Check the “Lost Pets” section of AdoptUtahPets.com for your animal or come into the shelter during open hours to look for them.