Pets & Firework Safety
Posted By SLCo Animal Services
June 29, 2020
Keep your pet safe during fireworks season. Throughout July, Salt Lake County Animal Services sees an increase in lost pet’s due to the number of pets who escape from their homes or yards because of the noisy fireworks. Here are a few tips to make sure your pet stays safe:
- Be sure your pet is wearing their ID tag and that their information is up-to date.
- Keep windows and doors closed, we often hear of pets breaking out screens when they get scared.
- Leave your pet at home when you head out to set off or see fireworks. Don’t leave them in the car, it’s too hot and too noisy. They would prefer to be at home with a tasty treat or food puzzle.
- Provide a safe place for them to retreat (hide) when the fireworks start going off. Close bedroom doors to prevent them from getting stuck under beds. Take them to the basement, turn on some mellow music, and snuggle with them.
- Take your dog for a walk earlier in the day before the fireworks start going off.
If you find a lost pet, contact Animal Control Dispatch at 801-743-7000 to have an officer come get the animal. Salt Lake County Animal Services is located at 511 W 3900 S, SLC, 84123. Questions? Email email@example.com or call 385-468-7387. Look for lost pets.