Skip to main content
Text:   Larger - Smaller  | Translate
MENU

poison prevention month

Posted By SLCo Animal Services
March 08, 2019

Share on Facebook Tweet This Email This

2019_poison_awareness_month

Understanding what potential and harmful pet poisons exist in your home and yard is the first step in keeping your pets safe. At Salt Lake County Animal Services, we want to help you keep your pets healthy and happy!

Pets can become ill by ingesting many common household foods, product and plants. Inspecting your home (Outside included) can help reduce the risk. Pets are curious and often cannot resist smelling, tasting and even sometimes swallowing foods, plants and other items that are of interest to them.

“Poison-proofing” your home is important, and you can take some very simple steps to secure areas and significantly reduce the chance of your dog or cat coming into contact with a toxic substance. There are numerous household food and products that can be toxic to pets.

 Here are a some of them:

*Alcohol

*Bones

*Caffeine

*Chocolate

*Grapes and Raisins

*Medicine/supplements (IE: Ib profen, acetaminophen)

*Onions/garlic/Chives/leeks/shallots

*Macadamia nuts

*Unbaked bread yeast dough

*Table salt

*Xylitol

*Mice and rat poisons

*Snail Bait

*Lawn pesticides

*Antifreeze

*Glue (IE: Gorilla Glue)

*Household plants 

 

The ASPCA has put together a list on their website of poisonous substances including plants, human foods, human medications and more:  https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control

Symptoms of accidental poisoning. Some symptoms will result in an immediate reaction while others may take several days. Here are some general symptoms to looks for:

*Drooling, vomiting, loss of appetite, diarrhea

*Lethargy, weakness

*Pale or yellowish gums,

*Excessive Thirst

*Nervousness, hyperactivity, muscle tremors, seizure, coma

If you think your pet has ingested something harmful please act immediately. Contact your Veterinarian or the Pet Poison Helpline for assistance. Timely and accurate identification of the substance is very important. If you have the container or package in hand it can save very valuable time and may save your pets life.