Not everyone qualifies for Petition-based Expungement. Find out more by answering some questions to see if you are ready to apply.
We highly recommend that you use a computer (not a mobile device) to complete the forms on this website. Salt Lake County libraries
can assist you with WiFi, computer access, and printing
- Expect this process to take approximately 6 months to complete.
- There is a $65 application fee associated with the expungement process.
- This guide is intended as a community resource that provides assistance with the petition-based expungement process. You are free to use other resources instead if you choose.
- This guide assists individuals in expunging their eligible Utah Adult Criminal Records. It does NOT help expunging juvenile, federal, or criminal records from another state.
- If you are NOT a U.S. Citizen, you should seek legal advice from an Immigration Attorney about whether to expunge your criminal records. The FBI could have records of a criminal case, even if a state court expunged its records. For more information on the immigration process, please visit United for Citizenship.
- Expungement does not guarantee you can have your gun rights back, although it may increase your chances. It does NOT entitle you to be able to posses a firearm, if you have lost that privilege.