You may be ineligible for expungement due to a variety of factors. Use this screening tool to determine your next best steps.
If you think you may be eligible for expungement after completing the screening above, we highly recommend you take advantage of the following options:
Option 1: You may qualify for free legal assistance through Utah Legal Services (ULS):
- Utah Legal Services can represent only U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents.
- Call Utah Legal Services at (801) 328-8891 (within Salt Lake County) or Toll Free (800) 662-4245 (outside Salt Lake County) to complete their intake process.
- Intake is open Monday-Friday from 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM.
- You can complete part of the application online, however you will still need to finish the application on the phone during intake hours.
Option 2: If you are a problem-solving court graduate, you can contact us for more information:
- If you have successfully graduated from a Utah Drug Court, Mental Health Court, or Veterans Court, we may be able to connect you to a lawyer who will assist you with your expungement needs, free of charge. If this applies to you, please email JaSmith@slco.org.
Option 3: If you do not qualify for Utah Legal Services support, and you are not a problem-solving court graduate, you may still qualify for BCI fee assistance, only if you are a Utah resident:
- Submit an expungement assistance request form. We provide expungement assistance year-round (so you don't need to waste time waiting for the next Expungement Day event). All assistance request forms will be processed in the order in which they are received.
Option 4: If have already started the expungement process and need help figuring out the next step:
- The Utah Courts Self-Help Center provides detailed instructions and all the necessary forms to complete the process.
- You can contact the Self-Help Center for additional assistance.