The original owners of property immediately surrounding the L.D.S. Church Temple were the pioneers in the Salt Lake Valley, including leaders of the LDS Church. In 1847, lots were drawn among this group for the individual parcels of land, and ownership continued to stay within the hands of LDS Church members. By 1911, the Church owned a large portion of the properties, with the rest still owned by Church members. The LDS Church eventually purchased all of the properties facing the Temple, with the intent to:
"Among other things we are endeavoring to secure possession of every foot of property surrounding the Temple grounds, lest saloons or other undesirable places should spring up and sully the neighborhood of the buildings we have dedicated to the Lord."
Salt Lake Herald article, 1911-10-22.
This exhibit, while certainly not a comprehensive history, seeks to provide a brief peek of the buildings and some of the families that once called West Temple their home.