Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate
Menu

Car Care

Sales and Service, Car care in Salt Lake Couty - 1930's to 1950's

October is Archives Month. It is also Fall Car Care Month as designated by the National Car Care Council. Help us commemorate both by taking a look back at Salt Lake County gas stations, service garages, and auto dealerships from the 1930s to the 1950s in this exhibit.

The photographs in this exhibit represent only a small portion of the images available from the Tax Appraisal Cards. Residential and other commercial buildings from all over the County are available, with photographs taken in the 1930s through the 1970s. If you would like to know more about other photographs or records available from the Archives, please contactarchives@slco.org.

All images in this exhibit are the property of the Salt Lake County Archives and may not be used in any publication, electronic or other format, without the permission of the Archives.

Gas Stations

Baker Motor Company

Baker Motor Company

279 East 300 South
Built 1925
Photograph circa 1937
Owned by Eva L. Sheets in 1937
Company had: (1) gas pump; (1) 550 gallon tank

Grant Hayes Company

Grant E. Hayes Company

510 South Main Street, Salt Lake City
Built 1950
Photograph 1950
Owned by Grant E. Hayes in 1950
Building moved to this location from 650 South Main Street
Building moved to 1280 South Main Street in 1957

Lyman-Oberg's Used Car Lot

Lyman Oberg's Used Car Lot

About 502-508 South Main Street, Salt Lake City
Photograph circa 1937

Canyon Motor Company - with Texaco Gas

Canyon Motor Company

366 Main Street, Bingham Canyon
Photograph circa 1937
Owned by Mona Heaston Clarke in 1937

Paulos Auto Company

Paulos Auto Company

75 Main Street, Magna
Built in 1891. Building added onto from 1891 to 1918
Photograph circa 1934-1949
Owned by C.A. Paulos and Gus A. Paulos
In 1918, this Company had: (2) gas tanks: (1) holding 1000 gallons,
(1) holding 500 gallons; (2) Wayne gas pumps.

Copper View Motor Company

Copper View Motor Company

6900 West 3500 South,
West Valley City
Built 1957
Photograph circa 1958

Henry S. Day Company Studebaker Sales Room and Service Garage

Henry S. Day Studebaker Sales Room

900 East 12300 South, Draper
Built in 1946
Photograph circa 1947
Owned by Henry and Effie Day in 1947

Tire Shop

Tire Shop

Approximately 8987 West 2700 South, Magna
Built 1917
Photograph circa 1934

Car Dealerships

JBaker Motor Company

Baker Motor Company

279 East 300 South
Built 1925
Photograph circa 1937
Owned by Eva L. Sheets in 1937
Company had: (1) gas pump; (1) 550 gallon tank 

Grant E. Hayes Company

Grant Hayes Company

510 South Main Street, Salt Lake City
Built 1950
Photograph 1950
Owned by Grant E. Hayes in 1950
Building moved to this location from 650 South Main Street
Building moved to 1280 South Main Street in 1957

Lyman-Oberg's Used Car Lot

Lyman Oberg's Used Car Lot

About 502-508 South Main Street, Salt Lake City
Photograph circa 1937

Canyon Motor Company - with Texaco Gas

Canyon Motor Company

366 Main Street, Bingham Canyon
Photograph circa 1937
Owned by Mona Heaston Clarke in 1937

Paulos Auto Company

Paulos Auto Company

75 Main Street, Magna
Built in 1891. Building added onto from 1891 to 1918
Photograph circa 1934-1949
Owned by C.A. Paulos and Gus A. Paulos
In 1918, this Company had: (2) gas tanks: (1) holding 1000 gallons,
(1) holding 500 gallons; (2) Wayne gas pumps.

Copper View Motor Company

Copper View Motor Company

6900 West 3500 South,
West Valley City
Built 1957
Photograph circa 1958

Henry S. Day Company Studebaker Sales Room and Service Garage

Henry S. Day Studebaker Sales Room

900 East 12300 South, Draper
Built in 1946
Photograph circa 1947
Owned by Henry and Effie Day in 1947

Tire Shop

Tire Shop

Approximately 8987 West 2700 South, Magna
Built 1917
Photograph circa 1934

Going Downtown

Wasatch City Parking Service with First Grade Gas

Wasatch Parking

Located at approximately 25 West 100 South, Salt Lake City
Photograph circa 1939

Clean the Air

Facts

  • Air pollution has always been a concern in the Salt Lake Valley due it its topography and industrial history. As early as 1890, anti-pollution regulations were in place, beginning with an ordinance to regulate the burning of soft coal.
  • The city’s commission hired its first smoke inspector in 1915 to measure the density of smoke clouds and to keep watch over industrial polluters.
  • Air pollution became a primary concern in the 1920s due to the use of fossil fuels to heat homes, run factories, and power vehicles. In 1919, a cooperative study by Salt Lake City, the University of Utah, and the U.S. Bureau of Mines was conducted to research and offer solutions to the problem. By 1922, the air had improved somewhat through education, demonstration, and supervision of industrial and railroad operations. By 1926, residential furnaces were to blame for 75% of the smoke.
  • Technological advances in furnaces and stoves helped to improve air quality until after World War II when automobiles became one of the primary polluters. Starting in the 1960s, automakers would begin efforts to reduce harmful emissions and states would begin to create emission laws. California was the first in 1960. In 1965, the “Motor Vehicle Air Pollution Act” created national standards to reduce auto emissions and the “Air Quality Act” gave the government the authority to set clean-air standards for all the states. The catalytic converter became a new standard feature in cars.
  • In 1979, the Salt lake County Council of Governments gave the Salt Lake City-County Board of Health the responsibility for developing a vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance program for Salt Lake County, to be implemented by December 31, 1981.

Documents

Board of Health Letter

Board of Health Resolution

Sources

  • Alexander, Thomas A. Grace & Granduer: A History of Salt Lake City (Carlsbad, California: Heritage Media Corporation, 2001), 64.
  • Sillitoe,Linda. Welcoming the World (Salt Lake County, Utah: 1996), 121-128.
  • The Impact of the Automobile on the 20th Century
Did you know?
  • Salt Lake City had no paved streets in 1890.  The 275 miles of dirt streets were rated among the dirtiest in the West. By 1920, Salt Lake City had 73 miles of paved streets.
  • Utah began building its link to the transcontinental highway in 1916.  The Lincoln Highway became the first paved roadway allowing drivers to drive from New York to San Francisco in 1923.
  • In 1920, a Chamber of Commerce brochure described Salt Lake City as having the “Broadest and most beautifully laid out streets in the world,” and it was “Known to be one of the most scientifically arranged cities in America.”
  • By 1925, Salt Lake City had 62 automobile dealerships and 30,000 automobiles.
  • In 1928, Salt Lake City became the first city in the world to use trolley buses with pneumatic tires and soon after became the first to adopt rear-engine motor buses.

Fun Firsts:

  • 1901: First statewide traffic laws created in Connecticut
  • 1913: First drive-in gas station opened in Pittsburgh
  • 1919: First gasoline tax introduced in Oregon
  • 1921: First drive-in restaurant opened in Dallas: The Pig Stand
  • 1922: First suburban shopping center opened in St. Louis
  • 1923: Hertz becomes the first national car rental agency
  • 1933: First drive-in theater opens in New Jersey
  • 1946: Drive-through teller windows at banks are now common
  • 1946: First 7-Eleven convenience store opens
  • 1948: First McDonald’s roadside fast-food restaurant opens in San Bernardino, California
  • 1950: First mass-production compact car: the Rambler
  • 1962: First child car seat with safety belt introduced
  • 1974: Air bags introduced as a new safety option
  • 1984: First law requiring the use of seatbelts created in New York

Sources: