Appraisal Photographs 1930 - 1940
The community of Bingham Canyon was located 26 miles southwest of Salt Lake City. The Bingham brothers, Thomas and Sanford, settled the canyon in 1848. The town incorporated in 1904 and was classified a city in 1938.
These unique black and white photographs depict the living conditions and economic stability of the Canyon preceding the depression. Although these images were taken in the 1930's and 1940's for tax purposes, the date listed with each photograph reflects the date the building was built.
Utah Copper Company, now called Kennecott Copper, was just beginning to expand their mining operations. Employment was up 50 percent from the previous year, and Utah Copper had just purchased the Hotel Ritz, Copper and Bingham. Additionally, all 18 beer halls were in operation, boarding houses were full, and the federally funded "Works Project Administration" was providing the money needed for the construction of the first sewer system in the Canyon.
496 Main Street
Accommodated the motion pictures, wrestling and boxing matches in the canyon.
First Security Bank
503 Main Street
Withstood a run on the bank in the early 1900's leaving the bank with only the fixtures and furniture.
Canyon Motor Company
366 Main Street
Appraisal Cards note "Ford Garage" with five rooms, one bath, and living quarters added on in 1949.
175 Main Street
The only commercial laundry in the canyon. Closed in 1934. Brick building, 2408 square feet, purchased by Utah Copper in 1971.
Bingham Stage Lines
507 Main Street
Founded in 1918. Provided services to Salt Lake City as well as excursion services to scenic areas of Utah.
530 Main Street
Mountain States Telephone
Prior to the merger of Bell & Independent Telephone, which created Mountain States Telephone, services were scattered and individually isolated within the canyon.
504 Main Street
Located at the confluence of Bingham Canyon and Carr Fork and noted as Bingham's greatest commercial landmark. Also used as a relief store to feed destitute families in the 1930's
Citizens Coal Company
31 Main Street
Bingham's third oldest business establishment. Utah Copper obtain the building in 1941.
Appraisals note "Outside corporate limits" Closed in 1941. Demolished in 1947.
519 Main Street
558 Main Street
Hotel Belmont Owned by Utah Copper.6,906 square feet, brick, stucco, plaster walls.Demolished in 1957.
480 Main Street
Owners Bingham Coal and Lumber Company.Demolished in 1969.
Facilities & Services
County Government booth at the Salt Lake County Fair, circa 1987
Capitol Theater, a county facility providing entertainment in theatre, music, and dance; circa 1978.
Salt Palace promotional brochure, a convention facility owned by Salt Lake County, circa 1976.
Daughters of the Nile National Convention held at the Salt Palace Convention Center, June 1974.
The bookmobile of the Salt Lake County. Free Public Library in Midvale circa 1947.
Page one of Salt Lake County Library usage statistics for year 2001.
Page two of Salt Lake County Library usage statistics for year 2001.
At Home in SLC
Residence at 1604 South 500 East originally built as a farmhouse in 1900.
Prairie School Style
Residence at 1211 East 100 South built in 1910 representing the Prairie School style of architecture.
Librarian assisting patrons in the Salt Lake County Bookmobile, circa 1947.
People attending a conference at the Salt Palace, circa 1969.
Senior citizens at the fair in the mid-1970's.
Grocery store at 780 North 200 West originally built circa 1895.
Arctic Circle Drive-In located at 135 East 900 South circa 1952.
The Nelson-Ricks Creamery located at 314 West 300 South, originally built in 1927.
Bennett Glass and Paint
The Bennett Glass and Paint Building located 61 West 100 South, part of the early central business district.
Crime & Punishment
Salt Lake County at Work
Old county government office
Salt Lake County government offices located in the old County Hospital at 21st South and State Streets, circa 1980.
Demolishing the old County Hospital, mid-1980's.
Salt Lake County Government Building
New government building built in the mid-1980s.
Citizens attending a County Commission meeting, late 1980's.
Citizens attending a County Commission meeting, late 1980's.
First County Meeting
Salt Lake County (then known as Great Salt Lake County) held its first official meeting on March 15, 1852. Although the County had been formed by an act of the territorial Legislative Assembly on January 31, 1850, officials were not appointed until 1852. The original form of government included a Probate Judge (Elias Smith) and three Selectmen (Samuel Moore, Reuben Miller and J.C. Wright). Their first official acts included the appointment of a County Assessor and Collector and a County Treasurer. Horrace S. Eldredge and Thomas Rhodes served in these positions, respectively. The territorial County government also passed two taxes: 1⁄2 of one percent to govern the County and 1⁄4 of one percent for roads. On March 14, 2002, Governor Michael Leavitt signed a proclamation recognizing March 10 - 16, 2002 as Salt Lake County Government Week. Mayor Nancy Workman accepted the proclamation on behalf of the citizens of Salt Lake County.
Minutes from the first meeting of Salt Lake County government on March 15, 1852.
Governor's proclamation recognizing Salt Lake County Government Week, March 10 through 16, 2002.
SL County Celebrates Anniversary
Salt Lake County is celebrating its 150th anniversary in March, and is taking advantage of that opportunity to redefine its identity to County residents. At a press conference at the State Capitol earlier this month, Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt signed a proclamation declaring March 10-16 as Salt Lake County Government Week.
During that same press conference, County Mayor Nancy Workman took time to explain the County's new "branding" program, keynoted by the new Salt Lake County logo which will soon adorn all County-funded vehicles, buildings and facilities in the area. Salt Lake County printed 3,000 of the new stickers for placement on the facilities,
"We felt the need to explain the services provided by the County," the Mayor said. "There are literally hundreds of facilities throughout the County that many citizens never realize are supported with County tax money. Each of them have different logos, many have their own names, but all of them are supported in
some way by Salt Lake County. So we as a County wrestled with finding the best way to get the word out in an inexpensive way, and the new logo seemed to be the right way."
Leavitt's proclamation salutes a governmental body that has grown from a four man commission of sorts, called "selectmen" in 1852, which oversaw three cities with a population of 11,000, to today's County council of nine members who serve over 900,000 citizens in 15 cities. There are 7,800 County employees, but Workman is quick to point out that that's 400 fewer than when the new form of County government took over last year. In addition, she said there are about 500 "unfulfilled" positions that the County is trying to "get along without filling," in order to continue reduced spending.
Salt Lake County currently provides services to the following cities: Alta, Draper, Bluffdale, Herriman, Holladay, Midvale, Murray, Riverton, Salt Lake City, Sandy, South Jordan, South Salt Lake, Taylorsville, West Jordan and West Valley City.