Any excavating within any Metro Township or Unincorporated Salt Lake County right-of-way requires an excavation permit from the Engineering Division.
To work within any Metro Township or Salt Lake County Unincorporated right-of-way, it is required by Ordinance that the excavator have on file with the Engineering Division an excavation bond guaranteeing the job site for three years from the date of completion of the job and a certificate of insurance indemnifying Salt Lake County.
To allow for scheduling, 48 hour notices is required before the commencement of work within any Metro Township or Unincorporated right-of-way. To work within the right-of-way of any Metro Township or Salt Lake County Unincorporated areas, the minimum bond amount is $10,000.00, guaranteeing the job site for three years from date of completion. Salt Lake County must be listed as an additional insured on the contractors liability insurance. Minimum limits are $1,000,000.00.
Temporary traffic control must be in accordance with the MUTCD, approved by the Traffic Engineer or Excavation Inspector before commencement of work.
Full road closure is generally not allowed; when necessary, 72 hours notice is required and the Traffic Engineer must approve the traffic control plan. Barricade plans should be sent to Michelle McCabe at MMccabe@slco.org
Excavation fee schedule is as follows:
- Work within the paved surface (asphalt or concrete) $250.00 min. $0.50/sq.ft.
- Work within the unpaved surface (dirt) $125.00 min. $0.25/sq.ft.
- Lane Closure Fee: $50.00 per day for each lane or partial lane that is closed or obstructed for more than 72 hours
- Permit Extension Fee: One half of the original fee assessed
- Penalty for work without an Excavation Permit is equal to two times the excavation fee assessed at the completion of the job
- Granular compatible material to 96% within roadway area and 90% outside of roadway. In accordance with the Standard Specifications.
- Bituminous surface course to match existing thickness or 3" minimum (Must have prior approval by County)
- Untreated base course to match existing thickness or 8" minimum. (Must have prior approval by County)
To apply for an Excavation Permit
- Call the Permit Specialist at 385.468.6600