Any excavating within the County right-of-way requires an excavation permit from the Engineering Division.
To work within the County right-of-way it is required by Ordinance that the excavator have on file with the Engineering Division a excavation bond guaranteeing the job site for three years from date of completion of the job and a certificate of insurance indemnifying Salt Lake County.
To allow for scheduling, 48 hour notice is required before the commencement of work within the County right-of-way. To work within the right-of-way of Salt Lake County the minimum bond amount is $10,000.00, guaranteeing the job site for three years from date of completion. Salt Lake County must be listed as an additional insured on the contractors liability insurance minimum limits are $1,000,000.00.
Temporary traffic control must be in accordance with the MUTCD, approved by the Traffic Engineer or Excavation Inspector before commencement of work.
Full road closure is generally not allowed; when necessary, 72 hours notice is required and the Traffic Engineer must approve the traffic control plan. Barricade plans should be sent to Michelle McCabe at MMccabe@slco.org
Excavation fee schedule is as follows:
- Work within the paved surface (asphalt or concrete) $250.00 min. $0.50 / sq ft
- Work within the unpaved surface (dirt) $125.00 min. $0.25 / sq ft
- Lane Closure Fee: $50.00 per day for each lane or partial lane that is closed or obstructed for more than 72 hours
- Permit Extension Fee: One half of the original fee assessed
- Penalty for work without an Excavation Permit is equal to two times the excavation fee assessed at the completion of the job
- Granular compatible material to 96% within roadway area and 90% outside of roadway. In accordance with the Standard Specifications.
- Bituminous surface course to match existing thickness or 3" minimum (Must have prior approval by County)
- Untreated base course to match existing thickness or 8" minimum. (Must have prior approval by County)
To apply for an Excavation Permit
- Call the Permit Specialist at 385.468.6600