The Defensive Driving course is offered on Salt Lake County's Employees' University website.
- Go to the 'Course Catalog' tab
- Look for 'Online Training'
- 'Job Specific Training'
- County Employee # (EIN) to log on.
- The access code for the training is: SLCounty. This code is case-sensitive
The course is offered through the National Safety Council and will take between 4 to 4 1/2 hours to complete. The course is delivered via multiple modules that do not all have to be completed in one sitting. Departments will be billed $20.00 each time their employees take this course. Certificates are included in the cost of this course
If you have taken the 4-hour Defensive Driving course in English or Spanish and have driven a County vehicle for 2 years without an accident, you may take the new 2-hour Defensive Driving course to complete the County's requirement. Departments will be billed $20.00 each time their employees take this course. You can print a certificate upon completion but if you would like a certificate mailed to you the fee is an additional $5.00.
Who Must Take this Course?
County Policy requires the following employees to complete this course once every two years.
- Each full time and regular part-time employee whose job description includes the operation of a motor vehicle.
- Each employee or user who has received authorization to take home a County vehicle.
- Each large passenger van and bus driver, and drivers of vehicles requiring a CDL license.
- Each volunteer or seasonal employee whose job duties include the operation of a motor vehicle. (See Countywide Policy 1350 §188.8.131.52 for exceptions)
- Each user required to take a remedial driving course including: any user involved in a major accident during official use of any vehicle, and; any user involved in more than one accident between their regularly scheduled training sessions.
- Each employee or user who submits a request for mileage reimbursement.
- Any person authorized to use a County vehicle.