Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Out-of-State Deferrals

This information is for Salt Lake County residents only; residents of other Utah counties should refer to the Utah Department of Motor Vehicles.

If your vehicle resides in another state for a legitimate reason such as work, school, military, etc., you may qualify for an out-of-state emissions deferral.

If the vehicle is located within a jurisdiction that conducts emission tests, you must have an emissions test performed. If no emissions test is available, a law enforcement entity must verify your vehicle’s location.

Please download and complete in full the deferral request form below, and return it with the required documentation to

We generally process out-of-state deferral requests within 3 business days; you will be notified via email when you may register your vehicle.