Medical Reserve Corps
The Salt Lake County Medical Reserve Corps (SLCoMRC) improves public health and safety by ensuring that a trained group of volunteer health professionals is ready to respond to health emergencies. We augment the efforts of medical staff at local hospitals and emergency centers by providing a pre-organized and rapid response to medical surge emergencies.
We coordinate our efforts within the health department, professional organizations, local governments and hospitals, as well as statewide and national emergency response teams to ensure that our response is as timely and effective as possible.
Some of the activities we participate in include staffing first-aid stations for community events such as the Salt Lake City Marathon, educating the community in disaster preparedness, Stop the Bleed, and training in multiple facets of health.
Our members include a range of medical and nonmedical volunteers, from nurses to HAM radio operators, who all work together to ensure a safer and healthier community through service.
For more information about MRC, email MRC@slco.org.
MRC is always seeking volunteers to help protect our community. We hold regular trainings and drills, and assist with medical help at community events. While we welcome anyone interested in serving, we are most in need of licensed:
- Mental health professionals
To join the Medical Reserve Corps:
- Familiarize yourself with the MRC Core Competencies
- Apply to be a Salt Lake County volunteer and indicate "Health Department MRC" in the "Are you interested in a specific volunteer opportunity?" field.
- Complete the following forms:
- Volunteer Contract
- Sexual Harassment Statement (review only; you'll initial that you've read this on the group volunteer contract below)
- Disclosure Form (must be notarized, which MRC coordinator may do when you submit your completed forms)
- Group Volunteer Contract
- Media Consent Form
- Confidentiality Form
- Involvement Agreement
- ID Card Form
- Complete two required FEMA independent study courses:
- Go to the UtahResponds volunteer registry and complete the registration to 100% (be sure to select "Salt Lake County Medical Reserve Corps" in the "Add Organization" field).
- Return your completed paperwork to:
Salt Lake County Health Department
2001 South State Street, Suite S2-600
PO Box 144575
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4575
For Current Volunteers
MRC Events 2019
- August 14 (6:30 p.m. at Sugar House Park): Outdoor Social/Long Term Care and Wilderness First Response Overview (MRC Meeting)
- September 21: Wound Kit Preparation
- October 5: Triage Bag Inventory (tentative)
- October 19: Burn Unit Trainings
- October 25: Project Homeless Connect
- November 9: Capstone Course (MRC Meeting and Exercise) and Awards and Dinner
Online MRC Trainings
- UtahResponds: Your volunteer account, you can login and change your profile, add and update credentials and more. This account is used for deployment, and MRC emails.
- UTrain: Most trainings on public health, and emergency management are posted on this website. You can login and register for other classes through this system as well.
Medical Reserve Corps Websites
- MRC at HHS: You can login and view our unit's reports, look up contact information, and view unit activities
- MRC Volunteer: Provides a host of trainings and other resources for MRC volunteers