History of Salt Lake Health
- 1849: Brigham Young creates the Society of Health, precursor to the Salt Lake City Health Department.
- 1898: Utah Legislature establishes the State of Utah Board of Health.
- 1899: Salt Lake County Commissioners create the Salt Lake County Board of Health.
- 1943: Salt Lake City Planning and Zoning Commissions recommend that the Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County Health Departments be merged into one organization as part of the city’s “50-year plan.”
- 1965: Salt Lake City Health Department opens its new building at 610 South 200 East.
- 1966: Salt Lake County Health Department moves into the old county hospital at 2100 South State Street.
- 1969: Salt Lake City and Salt Lake County Health Departments are merged into the Salt Lake City-County Health Department—26 years after consolidation was first recommended.
- 1974: Salt Lake City-County Board of Health adopts a uniform health code for the county’s [then] 10 municipalities.
- 1994: The health department adds three immunization clinics in West Valley, Sandy, and Rose Park.
- 1995: Ellis R. Shipp Public Health Center opens in West Valley City.
- 1998: Environmental Health Division moves its four bureaus to a new building in Murray.
- 2000: Salt Lake City-County Health Department becomes the Salt Lake Valley Health Department.
- 2007: South Main Public Health Center opens in South Salt Lake.
- 2013: Salt Lake Valley Health Department becomes Salt Lake County Health Department.
- 2014: Salt Lake County Health Department receives national public health accreditation.
- 2016: South Redwood Public Health Center opens in West Jordan.
- 2018: Salt Lake Public Health Center at 610 South 200 East is rebuilt and remains the department's flagship facility.
- 2019: The department celebrates 50 years as a combined Salt Lake City/Salt Lake County health department and commemorates 170 years of public health in the Salt Lake Valley.