It is illegal for businesses to dispose of hazardous wastes in garbage cans, dumpsters, landfills, or the sewer or storm drain systems. Disposing of hazardous waste improperly poisons our environment and may result in both civil and criminal penalties.
Businesses that generate hazardous waste below a certain amount are eligible to dispose of their waste through the health department’s household hazardous waste program. Eligible businesses pay a disposal fee based on the quantity and type of waste.
Eligible businesses include those that:
- Generate less than 220 pounds of hazardous waste in a calendar month
- Generate less than 2.2 pounds of acutely hazardous waste in a calendar month (acutely hazardous waste is waste that is extremely hazardous and causes death, injury, or serious illness)
- Accumulate less than 2,200 pounds of hazardous waste at any one time
Businesses that may qualify, and their corresponding potential waste, include:
- Dentists (silver)
- Auto shops (oils, coolants, solvents)
- Print shops (inks, cleaning solvents)
- Painters (paints, solvents)
- Mortuaries (preservatives)
- Exterminators (pesticides)
- Yard care (fertilizers, pesticides)
- Any other small business that uses paint, solvents, thinners, preservatives, pesticides, caustics, or produces used oil and chemicals.
To receive a price quote on business hazardous waste disposal, and information on how to safely transport waste to a Household Hazardous Waste facility, please call 801-541-4078.