Kick Ash Film Festival
About the Festival
E-cigarette use ("vaping" or "juuling") among Salt Lake County youth has increased 500% since 2011, yet only 56% of high school seniors think e-cigarettes are harmful. This is a statistic we need to change. If you could make a 30-to-60-second video to persuade your peers to avoid vaping, what would it be? Winning films will win CASH and prizes!
The Salt Lake County Health Department is hosting the third Kick Ash Film Festival to bring attention to this problem. This year’s theme, as determined by the teens in Salt Lake County's Healthy Teen advisory group, is Huff, Puff, Hooked. Submitted shorts should focus on the dangers of vaping/e-cigarette use or the negative influences driving youth e-cigarette use.
January 2, 2020: Submissions open
March 3, 2020, 11:59PM MST: Submissions close
March 9, 2020: Audience choice voting opens
March 13, 2020, 11:59PM MDT: Audience choice voting closes
March 19, 2020 6:30PM MDT: Kick Ash Festival Red Carpet event at the Leona Wagner Black Box at the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center in downtown Salt Lake City.
Contact us at email@example.com.
Upper Division—10th-12th grade
1st Place: $350
2nd Place: $250
3rd Place: $100
Lower Division—7th-9th grade
1st Place: $350
2nd Place: $250
3rd Place: $100
Audience Choice: Prizes courtesy of R.C. Willey
School or referring youth organization with most entries submitted: $100
Upper and Lower Division 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be decided by a panel of judges from the Salt Lake County Health Department and the Kick Ash Film Festival sponsors. Entries will be ranked in 3 categories:
- Originality (10 Points Possible)
- Relevance to Theme (10 Points Possible)
- Technical Expertise (10 Points Possible)
The top 3 films with the most points in each Division will be the recipients of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes.
The Audience Choice winner will be determined via public vote.
Submitted films should feature creative content informed by scientifically valid research. Below are a few approved resources filmmakers can refer to for information to use in their films.
- Know the Risks
- Taking Down Tobacco
- E-Cigarettes and Vape Pens
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Electronic Cigarettes
- Tobacco Free Kids
- Utah Department Of Health
- Truth Initiative
- Still Blowing Smoke
- Tobacco Free Utah
- The Tobacco Talk
Free Music for Your Film
Personal Appearance Form
Every person who appears in your film must fill out and sign a personal appearance form; if they are under the age of 18, their parent or guardian must sign the form.
We encourage filmmakers to find creative ways to spread anti-vaping messaging in their videos. Here are a few creative entries from the 2018 festival.
- Erin from Riverton High won first place in the festival. Her video featured her classmates talking about how avoiding tobacco can help them achieve their life goals.
- Kaden from Lone Peak High got second place for his video that showed how using tobacco and e-cigarettes can cut your life short.
- Alex from Draper Park Middle made a cool Lego stop motion to spread his anti-tobacco message.
RulesPlease read the information below carefully. Failure to adhere to the rules or submit necessary paperwork will disqualify your entry.
- Entrant must be either a resident of Salt Lake County or enrolled in a school in Salt Lake County.
- Entrant must be enrolled in a K-12 public, private, or charter school; or home-schooled with a valid excuse certificate from their local school board.
- Entrant must be in grade 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12.
- Entrant’s film cannot include any copyrighted content, including but not limited to: music, images, video clips, or trademarks.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
- Create a 30-to-60-second film (excluding credits) that relates to or is inspired by the theme “Huff, Puff, Hooked.”
- Submit your entry to the Kick Ash FilmFreeway Festival.
- Submit a completed Personal Appearance Form for EVERYONE who appears in the video and/or audio of your film.
Anyone in the film under age 21 may NOT use or simulate the use of tobacco or e-cigarettes in any way, as it is a violation of federal law for people under 21 to possess these items in any circumstance. We encourage filmmakers to find creative ways to spread anti-tobacco messaging.
The information you provide will be used to verify eligibility and for Kick Ash Film Festival administration to contact contest winners. Your information, other than social media accounts, will not be used for any other purpose, or shared with any other party not affiliated with the Kick Ash Film Festival and Contest except to the extent permitted by law. Social media accounts/handles may be used to tag entrants in festival promotional materials.
RULES FOR ENTRY:
Entries must obey the Terms and Conditions below and must be submitted during the competition period, beginning on January 2, 2020 and ending on March 3, 2020 at 11:59 PM MST.
An Entry must be an original work of the Entrant, and cannot infringe upon the Intellectual Property such as copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or any other form of intellectual property or rights of any person, organization, or entity. If an entry contains any material, assets, or elements that are not owned or created by the Entrant, the Entrant is responsible for receiving, prior to submission, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the use and exhibition of the Entry by the Kick Ash Film Festival in the manner set forth in these Terms. This includes, without limitation, name and likeness permissions from any person who appears in or is identifiable in the Entry, as well as music licenses and location releases when applicable. The Kick Ash Film Festival reserves the right to request proof of these permissions in a form acceptable to the Kick Ash Film Festival from the Entrant at any time. Failure to provide such proof may, if requested, render the Entry null and void.
Any assets not created by the Entrant must be credited at the end of the Entry. Entrant must submit a Statement of Originality and include the name, title, and source of any elements not created by the Entrant. Entrant must submit Personal Appearance forms for any and all actors or identifiable faces in the Entry. Should any actor or identifiable face be a minor under 18 years of age, the respective Personal Appearance form must be signed by a parent or guardian. The Entrant must submit a Parent/Legal Guardian Consent and Release form for the Entry to be in consideration.
Entry must be submitted before the competition deadline, March 3, 2020 at 11:59 PM MST. Any entries submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Terms and Conditions
- There is no purchase necessary to enter or to win, nor is there any cost to apply.
- The Entrant is deemed to be the holder of the established Facebook, Instagram, and e-mail accounts associated with the Entry.
- If the Entrant submitting the Entry is under 18 years of age, Entrant agrees to get permission from parent or legal guardian before Entry of any photograph video, audio, artwork or written media. The Salt Lake County Health Department requires a parent or legal guardian to sign the Consent and Release Form.
- By submitting the Entry, Entrant is warranting that the photograph, video, audio, artwork or written media is original. For any Entry that includes photo or video of multiple individuals, those individuals must agree to the Entry of their photo or video in the contest. Any individual under age 18 should also have their parent/legal guardian sign the Personal Appearance form.
- By submitting the Entry, Entrant is granting the Salt Lake County Health Department, including local media, the right to use the photograph, video, audio, artwork or written media for communication purposes for an unlimited time.
- By submitting the Entry, Entrant agrees and hereby releases the Salt Lake County Health Department, its employees, its board members, and its partners from any and all liability or responsibility arising in connection with the Entrant’s participation in the contest or as to any prize(s) which may be awarded.
- The Salt Lake County Health Department reserves the right at its sole discretion to reject and disqualify any Entry deemed in its sole discretion to be obscene, profane, offensive, lewd, pornographic or otherwise inappropriate. The Salt Lake County Health Department also reserves the right to ask Entrant to revise and/or edit written Entries.
- The Salt Lake County Health Department assumes no responsibility for Entries unable to be processed for any technical reason and further reserves the right to cancel the contest if it becomes technically corrupted or because of unauthorized human intervention. The Salt Lake County Health Department reserves the right in the event of such cancellation to award the prize to an eligible, non-suspect Entry received prior to cancellation.
- Entrant agrees that Entry and acceptance of prize constitutes permission for The Salt Lake County Health Department to have the option of using the first name of Entrant and Entry in any submitted photograph, video, audio, artwork or written media. Such use will be without compensation and may be for editorial, public relations, promotional or advertising purposes, or any other purpose as deemed reasonable by The Salt Lake County Health Department.
- This contest is limited to Utah residents in school grades 7-12. Applicable taxes are the responsibility of the Entrant.
- This contest is sponsored and promoted by:
Salt Lake County Health Department
2001 S. State Street, Suite S2-600
Salt Lake City, UT 84190
- The winning selections will be posted online after the screening event. Winners will be announced and awarded prizes at the red carpet event on March 19, 2020.
- Contest Entry opens on January 2, 2020 and closes on March 3, 2020 at 11:59 MST. No entries submitted after that date will be considered for the contest. Entries must be submitted via FilmFreeway.
- Public voting dates will be open on March 9, 2020 and close on March 13, 2020 at 11:59 MDT.
- The Salt Lake County Health Department reserves the right to adjust the rules, terms and conditions of the “Kick Ash Film Festival” contest as necessary.
- Any Entrant who does not agree with the above terms and conditions should not enter this film festival.