Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

FAQ - How Do I...

Make benefits changes?

Salt Lake County plans are subject to regulations in section 125 of the IRS code, so you must have an IRS Qualifying Event to make changes to your plan outside Open Enrollment.

Adding an Adult Designee/Unmarried Partner/Adult Dependent

Adding a New Child (Birth/Adoption)

Changing Coverage Due to Divorce

Changing Coverage Due to Marriage

Loss or Gain of Other Coverage

You have 31 days (includes the date of the event) to make the change in PeopleSoft and send your information to the Benefits Team at  

To initiate the change, log into PeopleSoft

  • Main Menu > Self Service > Benefits > Life Events
  • Select your event (marriage, divorce, birth or adoption)
  • Use the date of the qualifying event, and enter your updated information.
  • Follow the radio buttons on the left side of the screen
  • Click "LEGEND" on the left to see where you are in the process
  • If your change is because of a loss of other coverage, email the benefits team at

Document upload is available in the online life event. Please upload your document there.

If you cannot, please email to and include your employee ID number (EIN)

If you do not have PeopleSoft access please contact the benefits team as soon as possible, within 31 days of the event, so we can assist.

You can call 385-468-0580 or email

County policy allows enrollment for up to 31 days including the day of the event.  You must enter your event in PeopleSoft and provide documentation of the event within 31 days to make a life event change to your coverage.

IRS Qualifying Events

  • Marriage, Death, Divorce, Birth, Adoption, or Employment Change

What we need:

  • Marriage:  Marriage certificate 
  • Death: Death certificate
  • Divorce: Signed or stamped copy of your divorce decree 
  • Birth: Hospital release paperwork, or birth certificate and Social Security Number
  • Adoption: Signed or stamped copy of adoption paperwork from the Court
  • Employment Change: Proof of loss of other insurance from the employer or insurance company. 

All requests for a life event change, which include adding a new baby or spouse or removing someone from coverage must be made within 31 days.  You can contact the Benefits Team by phone at 385-468-0580 or send an email to


Make 401k, 457, or IRA changes?

Changes to your Savings Plan Options must be made through the Utah Retirement Systems (URS) website.

Once the change is made through URS, the county receives information and will make changes to your paycheck, which may take up to three weeks.

Remember to review your savings elections at least annually to maximize your tax savings and have what you need in retirement.  URS offers several opportunities to discuss your retirement needs, including personalized counseling.  Contact them at 801-366-7775.

Make Life Insurance or beneficiary changes?

Changes to your life insurance or life insurance beneficiary should be made directly through PEHP at   Unlike some employee benefits, life insurance changes can be made anytime during the year.

It may take up to three weeks for you to see the premium or coverage change on your paycheck, and PEHP keeps your beneficiary information on file.  Please check your beneficiary election annually and as your needs change. 

When you get married or divorced, have children, or when your children get married or turn age 26, it is your responsibility to update the coverage and/or beneficiaries. PEHP may not be aware when one of your covered dependents get married or ages out of the program, so review your coverage annually.

  • If you have children, remember to enroll them in your dependent life insurance.
  • When your children get married or turn age 26, contact county benefits ( and PEHP (801-366-7495) to remove them from coverage.
Resolve a claim problem?

The quickest and easiest way to resolve issues is to contact the benefit administrator directly.  If you still have questions or issues, please get in touch with the Benefits Team.

PEHP - 801-366-7555
SelectHealth  -  801-442-5038

Cigna DPPO Dental - 801-244-6224

ASI Flex Spending - 800-659-3035

Claims from the HealthyMe Employee Clinic should be resolved with PEHP or SelectHealth.  The clinic staff only has access to certain types of information.  They don't know if you've met your deductible, what the discount codes may be, or if a procedure or prescription is covered or requires pre-authorization.

Manage my HSA?

Your Health Savings Account (HSA) is a self-managed account.  It's your responsibility to confirm eligibility, submit appropriate documentation, and monitor your balance and contributions.  Hefty fines and penalties are applied for misusing this account, so please review the IRS guidelines for a comprehensive understanding.

Optum is Salt Lake County's HSA administrator, however if you've had an HSA before being employed here, you may have an existing account with another administrator.

You can make changes to your HSA deduction any time by contacting the Benefits Team at Changes to your paycheck must be made in writing, so please include your EIN and the amount you'd like deducted in your email.

Salt Lake County is committed to your privacy, and will not disclose information about your benefits or paycheck to anyone but you.  If your spouse contacts us to discuss coverage or your HSA, we're unable to respond without your permission.

Get My IRS Form 1095-C?

Your Form 1095-C will be mailed out by by February 14, 2022.  If you have not received your 1095-C by March 14, 2022 please contact the benefits department.


IRS Form 1095-C Q&A

Update my address?

Please loginto PeopleSoft > Self Service to make your change

Use my FSA card?

Flex Spending programs are regulated by the IRS, and the plan is administered according to IRS regulations in section 125 of the tax code (Can't sleep?  Click here).  Your FSA Benefits card provides access to your funds, and does not mean your claim was qualified or has been processed.  In many cases, you will be asked to provide proof of your expense to ASI Flex.  Here are a few pointers to make using the card easier:

1. Sign-up for an ASI Account online.  This is the easiest and most secure way to submit claims, monitor your balance, and receive notifications from ASI.

2. Make sure your provider charges  the correct amount.ASI Flex cannot auto-approve an amount that isn't consistent with county benefit plan. For example, if you have a Dr. visit and don't pay your copay, but pay two copay's at your next visit, you'll need to send in an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) or itemized bill to prove that charge.

3. You must always send in an  EOB or itemized bill for dental and some other types of claims.  Send the information ASI Flex needs.  Sometimes the charges are on one side of the bill and the procedure on another.  You need to indicate:

  • Date of Service
  • Procedure
  • Provider
  • Cost (what you paid)
  • Who incurred the procedure

3. Submit an EOB with your claim form.  You can find EOB's by logging into your account through

4. If  ASI Flex notifies you that you need to send in proof for a charge, do so immediately.  You can upload through your online portal, fax, email or mail a copy of your EOB or itemized bill. You have up to 42 days to provide documentation, but after that your card may be suspended until documentation is received. Visit ASIFLEX for details. 

5. If you leave the county (retirement or termination), access to your Flex terminates the last day of the month.  You have 30 days to submit receipts for charges prior to your termination date and don't have access to your funds unless you elect COBRA coverage.  If your receipt isn't received within 30 days, funds are ineligible for reimbursement.

6. You can submit an annual claim form for all of your daycare expenses by completing and submitting this form to ASIFlex. 

 7. The Rollover provision allows you to carry over your rollover balance for 12 months.  If you have unused rollover funds on December 31, they will be forfeited on January 1.  ASI will use your rollover funds first, then your annual election.

You have until March 31 to submit proof of claims requiring substantiation.  Unsubstantiated claims incurred with outstanding proof of purchase must be paid post-tax.  Please contact ASI Flex with questions.

Invest my HSA funds?

You can invest your Optum HSA funds over your minimum account balance of $2,000.

  • No trading fees
  • Access to low expense ratio funds (often Vanguard funds)
  • Recurring transfers functionality
  • No-Load or Load-Waived funds (Shares are sold without a commission or sales charge)

Review this informational video Investing Your HSA as well as the HSA Investment Guide to review your investing options, maximize your HSA funds, and plan for your future.

Many county employees are saving for retirement but forgetting to save separately for healthcare needs in their retirement years.  Your HSA is the only savings option that is never taxed, as long as you use the funds on qualified expenses.  Research options to maximize your savings.

Dependent Daycare Flex Spending

If you have dependents under age 13 and spend money on daycare, after school programs, or other child care, electing ASIFlex Dependent Daycare could save you money.   You can use the following link to submit an annual claim form for daycare expenses. Automatic Reimbursement Request Form

Get my FSA funds Direct Deposited?

Direct Deposit for FSA reimbursements and Dependent Daycare is a quick and easy way to automatically get your funds once your claim has been approved.  

Complete a Claim Form and Direct Deposit, and submit it to ASIFlex.  

The IRS requires that you pay back funds that were spent on non-qualified expenses or expenses without documentation.

Transition Orthodontia coverage to Cigna Orthodontia Coverage?

County orthodontia benefits are "lifetime" benefits, so your maximum with Cigna will be deducted from what prior county providers have paid on your behalf.

Orthodontia coverage it is not a guarantee of payment.  The total case fee is divided by 4. The first quarter is the down payment and the remaining 75% is divided by the months in treatment.  That monthly payment is made automatically quarterly until the months in treatment have been met, the braces are removed or the lifetime maximum has been reached, whichever comes first.  

Make sure you research options and use a Cigna Advantage Network provider for the best discount.  Most providers will bill any insurance company, but haven't agreed to accept Cigna's payment as payment in full.  Log into your Cigna account or contact customer service for more information.

You or your orthodontist should provide a copy of your treatment plan to Cigna Dental to get appropriate credits and payments. 

Claim Address:  Cigna Dental DPPO PO Box 188037 Chattanooga TN 37455

Cigna Documents

Know what my Cigna Dental benefits are?

County offers one dental plan:  Cigna PPO

Salt Lake County's Cigna dental plan group number is 3341161

You will not get a dental card, but can verify coverage by calling 800-244-6224. 

Your benefit is determined by which kind of provider you see. If you see a Cigna Advantage provider, you'll get the most benefit and pay the lowest cost.  County pays more of the cost because Advantage providers have agreed to write off more of the bill.

If you see any other Cigna provider, you pay more of the bill and have a lower annual maximum benefit.  

If you go to a provider that either doesn't contract with Cigna or doesn't take any insurance, you have a reduced benefit and a lower annual maximum benefit. The big cost you incur by going to a dentist that doesn't accept Cigna is "balance billing".  Balance billing is where you pay the balance left on the bill after the county plan pays what it does for a contracted dentist.  When you're looking for a provider, as if they are contracted with Cigna, not if they will accept payments from Cigna.

Make a Name Change?

If you have a name change, contact the HR Data Entry team (385-468-0570) with a copy of your divorce or marriage certificate and your new Social Security card.  

Once the change has been made in PeopleSoft, benefits vendors will get your updated information.