Kearns Town Center
In 2016 Kearns Community Council and the Healthy Kearns Committee began the planning process for the area at 5400 South and 4015 West. The purpose of the project was to:
- Create a plan for the area
- Incorporate a new Kearns Library
- Incorporate a new Utah Community Action facility
- Meet community public space and shopping needs
As part of the planning process in 2016, members of the community created the following draft vision statement for the future of the area: "The Kearns Town Center will create a healthy gathering place that is representative of the diverse community , reflective of our history, connects residents, business owners and visitors to each other, and provides opportunities for learning and enrichment."
In addition to the vision statement, members of the community responded to a survey about the future of the area. In a preliminary planning exercise, community members indicated their preference for redevelopment of the area with:
- Increased pedestrian, bicycle, and transit connectivity within and to the area
- A community gathering place, such as a plaza, that includes the Kearns Library, Utah Community Action facility, Unified Police Department substation, and other community resources
- Additional restaurants and shops
The Kearns Metro Township Council and Mayor Kelly Bush re-energized the planning process at a "re- kick off" open house on August 2, 2018. Community members learned that construction would soon begin on the new Kearns Library and that the new Utah Community Action facility is currently in the planning and design phases. During this open house, the project team was able to gather public feedback on preferences for:
- Location of the Unified Police Department facility
- Location and configuration of pedestrian, bicycle, transit and car access/circulation
- Location and configuration of public spaces
- Urban design concepts to guide future private development
Community members unable to attend the August open house are encouraged to provide feedback online.
We thank everyone who came out to the open house Tuesday, October 23rdat the Kearns Olympic Oval.
P.S. Follow the Kearns Metro Township Facebook Page to stay informed about all aspects of this project.