September 11, 2020
Salt Lake County Celebrates Diversity and Inclusion by Hosting Annual Welcoming Salt Lake Week: A Week Dedicated to Welcoming New Americans
Marti Woolford -
Salt Lake County, UT – This week, the Salt Lake County Mayor's Office for New Americans, in conjunction with multiple partners, celebrates Welcoming Salt Lake Week by hosting various virtual events as a way of “creating home together” and fostering a sense of belonging in communities around the world. A schedule of events can be found at WelcomingSaltLake.org.
“Welcoming Salt Lake Week is a time to not only celebrate the values of equality and belonging, but to bring our communities together to live them in practice,” said Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson. “This year has been full of challenges. Welcoming Salt Lake Week is a great time to remind ourselves of what is possible when we make it our priority to create a sense of home for every member of our community, so that all of us can be healthy, participate, and thrive.”
Under the theme of “Creating Home Together,” the Mayor's Office for New Americans and various community partners will host the following virtual events during the week of September 12-20:
- New American Artists: Poetry, Visual Art, Dance, and Sculpture
- Emerald Hills Institute Virtual Photo Exhibit: What I Brought in My Luggage
- Community Stories Interviews: Finding Home in the Salt Lake Valley
- Voices of Refugee Youth: Speeches from the Utah Refugee Education & Training Center
- Salt Lake County Library: Storytime for Toddlers
- Unforgetting: A Memoir of Family, Migration, Gangs, and Revolution in the Americas, Author Interview
- Tales & Tunes: Multicultural Stories and Music
- Hostile Terrain Art Exhibit
- The Infiltrators Film Screening
- Tea Demonstration with the Honey Teahive
- Spice Kitchen Incubator Live Cooking Class
The full schedule with event details is available at WelcomingSaltLake.org.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Welcoming Salt Lake Week will look different this year, with events being held virtually. Organizations, local governments, and individuals are encouraged to participate however they can.
About Welcoming Salt Lake Week
Welcoming Salt Lake Week is an annual celebration bringing together people in local communities to build unity and a sense of belonging for new and long-time residents. In 2020, Welcoming Week takes place September 12-20 under the theme of “Creating Home Together.”