Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Communication Access & Auxiliary Aids

Salt Lake County will provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services to ensure effective communication for qualified individuals with disabilities so they can participate equally in the County’s programs, services and activities.  Such aids and services will be provided at no cost to the person being served unless it would fundamentally alter the nature of the program, service or activity or the auxiliary aids and services cause an undue burden.  Such services may include qualified sign language interpreters, alternate formats like large print, and other ways of making information and communications accessible to individuals with speech, hearing or vision impairments.  

All departments, divisions, offices, agencies and boards within Salt Lake County are responsible for providing effective communications for all patrons and have an ongoing obligation to provide such services regardless of whether the individual makes a request once the need is known.  

Anyone who requires an auxiliary aid or service for effective communication, should contact the agency or the ADA/504 Program Coordinator as soon as possible but no later than 72 hours before the scheduled event.  See County-wide Policy 1316 on Reasonable Modifications, Auxiliary Aids and Services for Persons with Disabilities under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.


Salt Lake County’s dedicated TTY phone numbers for many individual agencies are being discontinued.

If you use either a teletypewriter (TTY) or computer equipment with TTY capability to place your phone calls, please dial 711 (Relay Utah) then give the Relay operator the County phone number you wish to call.

Calls are also accepted using the video relay services if you have equipment available.

Agency Information:

Sign Language Requests:

When a sign language interpreter is requested, it is the responsibility of the agency to arrange for and pay for this auxiliary aid.  The County has current master agreements for interpreters, including American Sign Language.

Countywide master agreements based on State of Utah contracts have been prepared for all County agencies to use.  Agencies needing services should get in touch with the vendor contact as listed on the summary page of the appropriate State contract.  These summaries are attached to each Countywide master agreement.  The ADA does not cover foreign language interpreters but this information is also available through the following link.  

Current contract information for all interpreters

Alternative Format:

All written communications must be available in an alternate format, if requested.  It is not necessary to produce any alternate format documents until a specific request is made or known to the County.   Examples of alternate format are large print (typically 18 point font reprinted from a computer file or enlarged on a copy machine), audio recordings, and Braille (local contacts: Utah State Library for the Blind and Center for the Blind and Visually Impaired).

The following notice should be printed on all information:

THIS INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE IN AN ALTERNATE FORMAT, UPON REQUEST.   To expedite accommodation requests and coordination, please contact [insert the contact information for the agency’s ADA/504 Liaison].   TTY user’s may call 711.