STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES “BLIND CHILD” SIGN POLICY
To provide a County-wide policy governing the installation of “Blind Child” signs.
- 1.1 A child must be certified as legally blind. The certification must be by a qualified eye specialist.
- 1.2 A child must be between the ages of two (2) and eighteen (18) years of age at the time of the sign request.
2.0 Installation Limits
- 2.1 The signs will be installed only on a residential street with a posted speed of 25MPH.
- 2.2 The signs will also be installed at a minimum of 100 feet away from the property lines of the parent or guardian who is responsible for the blind child. If the minimum distance places the sign within the adjacent property owners frontage it will be placed at the property line. In these situations the placement of the “Blind Child” signs will be reviewed and approved on a case by case basis.
3.0 Proof of Residency
- 3.1 Proof of residency (a copy of the property tax notice or utility billing) must be provided to the Public Works Operations Division, 604 W 6960 South, Midvale, Utah 84047, at the time the sign request is made and on a yearly basis thereafter.
- 3.2 If verification is not received, a personal contact will be made. If contact cannot be made, the sign will be removed.
- 3.3 The signs will be removed when the child reaches 18 years of age.