- Maintaining roads in unincorporated County
- Performing pot hole patching
- Performing chip seal
- Asphalt overlays
- Crack Seal roadways
- Mill streets in preparation for overlay
- Winter potholes-maintenance
- Sweeping of streets (only in unincorporated SLCo)
- Storm Drain Maintenance
To Report Graffiti, call: END-GRAF 801 363-4723
- Adopt-a-Highway Application
Pavement management is a process of implementing a 3 to 5 year maintenance plan for the roads in unincorporated Salt Lake County. This data helps our road maintenance crew evaluate the road surface structure and helps to maintain the integrity of each road. The program classifies the roadways as to necessity of repairs of the surface.
- 3 to 5 year road maintenance plans
- Street inventories and inspections
- Coordinates GIS (Geographic Information System)
How is it determined when a street will be re-paved?
The County maintains a comprehensive pavement inventory. Schedules are based on road surface conditions, available funds and efficient use of resources.
- Slurry - Roadway surface treatment that uses an oil and aggregate (usually sand) mixture to prolong the service life of an existing asphalt road.
- Chip seal - Roadway surface treatment that uses an oil mixture and coarser aggregate (usually small fractured gravel) applied to prolong the service life and enhance the skid resistance of an existing asphalt road.
- Overlay - Placing and compacting a layer of hot mix asphalt on top of an existing pavement.
Why do you put crack seal on the road?
It seals the roadway from water seepage and seals the cracks up which helps prevent chuck holes.
Why do you use Slurry Seal?
It lengthens the life of the road and increases the skid resistance of the roadway.
Pavement management road evaluations.
Why do you use Chip Seal (small rocks on road)?
Chip seal weatherproofs and lengthens the life of the roadway 5 to 7 years.
Can I drive on the new asphalt?
After the asphalt has been rolled one time it is safe to drive on. However, follow the instructions of the flag people. ***The surface temperature of the asphalt is well over 300 degrees. It will severely injure animals or humans. The heat will be trapped for several hours. Please use caution and stay away from new asphalt.***
How long does it take to fix pot holes or sweep streets after call is made?
Typically we will have the service provided within a 48 hour period weather permitting.
How do we get the sweepers to clean my street?
You can request that the street be swept. Our goal is to sweep every street approximately twice a year.
Why can’t the County do construction work on the streets at night so traffic is not disrupted?
Excessive noise is the main factor. Also, evening work frequently requires premium pay and may result in lower quality due to worker fatigue and poor lighting.
Who maintains the trees or bushes planted in the parking strip?
It is the homeowners responsibility to maintain the right of way which abuts the road in accordance with County Tree Ordinance 14.44.010
What do I do if my street is flooding?
Clearing the debris from the storm drain grate and keeping it clean is helpful. If it is an emergency, call our 24 hour emergency number 385-468-6101.
What do I do if the river, canal, ditch, creek are flooding?
Please contact Flood Control at 385-468-6600.
How can we volunteer for the Adopt-a-Highway Program?
You may complete the Adopt-A-Highway form.