All documents to be recorded must meet the Recording Requirements as set forth in the Utah Code.
In compliance with UCA 17-21-1(4), these Electronic Recording Standards must be followed for all documents submitted electronically.
You may download a pdf copy of these requirements and fees.
Formatting and Content Requirements:
A 4 1/4" by 3" blank space is required on the first page of each recorded document in the upper right corner.
A legal description and a parcel identification number are required on all recorded documents.
Common Document Errors:
- Missing legal description
- Missing parcel identification number
- Incorrect fee
- Grantor's signature different than typed name
- Missing grantee address
- Illegible documents
- Inadequate space for recorder's stamp (4 1/4" x 3" in upper right corner of first page of document)
Document Recording Fees:
Flat fee per recording: $40.00
Additional legal descriptions (over 10) $2.00 each
Subdivision and Condominium Maps Recording Fees:
Each sheet $50.00
Each lot or unit designation: $2.00
Mining Location Notice of Proof of Labor Recording Fees:
Flat fee per recording $40.00
Additional claims (over 10) $2.00 each
Certified and Standard Copies:
Recorded documents: $2.00/page
Ownership & description: $1.00 /page
Lined parcel plat or subdivision: $5.00
Lined parcel plat or subdivision (electronic TIFF format): $5.00
Certification of documents: additional $5.00
GIS Map Copies and Electronic Data:
Lined paper copy: $2.00
Property owner mailing list (sticky label sheet): $ 3.00
Property owner mailing list (plain paper sheet): $1.00
Custom map projects: $75.00/hour and $5.00/square foot
Download PDF of Recording Fees
Recording Any instrument, paper, or notice otherwise provided for:
Flat fee for recording $40, Additional $2 fee for the following:
- each additional description (Each document fee includes ten (10) legal description(s).)
- each lot exceeding ten
- each parcel exceeding ten
Subdivision or any other plat or map:
Each sheet $50
Each lot or unit designation $2
ALL SERVICES NOT ENUMERATED IN STATE STATUTE SHALL BE COMPENSATED AT A REASONABLE FEE DETERMINED AND SET BY THE SALT LAKE COUNTY COUNCIL
COPY FEES Paper or Digital (Documents, Plats, Labels):
- Copies of documents per page $2*
- Copies of Vault documents per page $5*
- Certification per document (i.e. 2-page certified document-$9.00 (2 pages = $4.00 + cert @ $5 = $9.00) $5
- Computer printout ownership/descriptions per page $1*
- Copy of lined plat, subdivision plat or G.I.S. plat $5*
- Copy of 8.5” x 11” lined plat, subdivision plat or G.I.S. plat $2*
- Mailing labels (per sheet): $1* Print Out only, $3* Adhesive labels
Custom Map Projects
CUSTOM MAP PROJECTS: $75*/hour (charged in .25 hour increments) and $5*/square foot
For a document to be recorded in the Recorder's Office, it must meet the following requirements:
- It must be an original document or be an electronic document that satisfies the requirements under UCA 17-21a, Uniform Real Property Electronic Recording Act (UCA §57-3-106).
- It must contain a brief caption stating the nature of the document (UCA §57-3-106).
- It must contain a legal description (UCA §57-3-105).
- It must contain the names and mailing addresses of the grantees (UCA §57-3-105).
- It must be sufficiently legible for the recorder to make certified copies (UCA §57-3-106).
- It must contain a notary certificate containing the words “subscribed and sworn” or the equivalent, that is signed and certified by the officer taking the acknowledgement, proof, or jurat (UCA §57-3-101).
- The names of all persons whose signatures appear on the instrument must be typed or printed on the instrument (UCA §17-21-25).
- When title to real property is granted to a person as trustee, the following terms of the trust must be included: the name and address of the trustee; and the name and date of the trust (UCA §75-7-816).
- A court judgment or an abstract of a court judgment must be an original or certified copy and include the information identifying the judgment debtor as referred to in Subsection 78-22-1.5(4) (UCA §57-3-106).
- Judgments, abstracts of judgments, and separate information statements of the judgment creditor do not require an acknowledgment or a legal description to be recorded (UCA §57-3-106).
- A foreign judgment or an abstract of a foreign judgment recorded in the office of a county recorder must include the affidavit as required in Section 78-22a-3 (UCA §57-3-106).
- To release or assign a judgment lien must include the name of any judgment creditor, debtor, assignor, or assignee; the date of recording; and the entry number creating the judgment lien (UCA §57-3-106).
- The tax serial number of each parcel affected by the instrument should appear on each instrument, though it is not considered part of the legal description (UCA §17-21-20).
- Document shall be an original or certified copy of the document unless otherwise provided by law (UCA §17-21-20).
- Document shall be in English or be accompanied by an accurate English translation of the document (UCA §17-21-20).
- Document shall contain a brief title, heading, or caption on the first page describing the document (UCA §17-21-20).
- Document shall contain the legal description of the property that is the subject of the document (UCA §17-21-20).
- Document shall be notarized with the notary stamp with the seal legible; and shall have original signatures (UCA §17-21-20).
- Each paper, notice or instrument submitted for recording in the county recorder’s office shall be on white paper that is 8-1/2 inches by 11 inches in size (UCA §17-21-20).
- Have a margin of one inch on the left and right sides and at the bottom of each page (UCA §17-21-20).
- Have a space of 2-1/2 inches down and 4-1/2 inches across the upper right corner of the first page and a margin of one inch at the top of each succeeding page to provide room to affix recording data (UCA §17-21-20).
- Shall not be on sheets of paper that are continuously bound together at the side, top or bottom (UCA §17-21-20).
- Document shall not contain printed material on more than one side of each page (UCA §17-21-20).
- Printed in black ink and not have text smaller than seven lines of text per vertical inch (UCA §17-21-20).
- Be sufficiently legible to make certified copies (UCA §17-21-20).
Documents Recorded by Year