Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Salt Lake County Regional Development News

New Research: Single-Family Homes Close to Apartments in Suburban Salt Lake County Have Had Higher Price Appreciation

February 22, 2021

Share on Facebook Tweet This Email This

The Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute released a study today showing apartments built between 2010 and 2018 have not reduced single-family home values in suburban Salt Lake County.

According to the research, commissioned by Salt Lake County's Office of Regional Development, single-family homes located within 1/2 mile of a newly constructed apartment building experienced higher overall price appreciation than those homes farther away.

Areas of Analysis and Location of Apartments by Number of Units.JPG



“This analysis sheds light on an important topic – the proximity of apartments to single-family homes does not decrease value, but increases value, all while providing more housing choices for residents,” said Dejan Eskic, senior research fellow at the Gardner Institute and lead author of the report. “In Salt Lake County, from the year an apartment was constructed to 2019, single-family homes located within 1/2 mile of new apartment construction realized 1.4% more in annual price appreciation than single-family homes located farther away.”

New, dense housing continues to be a point of conflict in growing communities as concerns over negative impacts to home values dominate the discussion. This study quantifies how new apartment construction has impacted single-family home price acceleration over the last decade.

"This research by the Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute on housing in our community will help leaders make better data-based decisions as we work towards strategic and sustainable growth for all residents," said Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson. “Salt Lake County will continue to invest in housing affordability solutions, both as a regional convener and funder of housing services.”

"We didn't know what the outcome of this study would be," said Michael Gallegos, director of Housing & Community Development, "but with this research we now know we can eliminate one anecdotal concern and focus efforts on other issues that are real."

Highlights from report include the following:

New Apartments Have Not Reduced Single-Family Home Values

Between 2010 and 2019, homes located within ½ mile of a newly constructed apartment building experienced a 10% average annual increase in median value, while the value of those farther away increased by 8.6%.

Only in the Southeast part of the county did homes more than 1/2 mile away from new apartment construction experience higher average price appreciation than those located ≤1/2 mile.

Homes Near Apartments Have Higher Value per Square Foot

Between 2010 and 2019, homes that are located ≤1/2 mile of new apartments averaged an 8.8% higher median value per square foot compared with those farther away. However, the total median market value of single-family homes averaged 4.7% greater for those that are located more than 1/2 mile away from new apartments.

Homes Near Apartments Are Smaller and Older

In suburban Salt Lake County overall, homes located within 1/2 mile of new apartments are approximately 11.1%, smaller than those farther away. Homes that are located ≤1/2 mile of new apartments are seven years older on average than those located farther away.

Negative Impacts

The only occurrence where negative price trends followed apartment construction was for homes near apartments built in 2010 and 2011. This resulted from the negative economic impacts brought on by the housing crash of the prior decade.

Read the full report released by Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute.

Median Market Value Per Square Foot.JPG

Are you a working parent in Salt Lake County who needs support?

February 19, 2021

Share on Facebook Tweet This Email This

Pandemic Working Parents.png

Are you a working parent in Salt Lake County who needs a little extra support during the pandemic?

You're not alone. Here are a variety of services available to residents, from housing assistance, food, health care, and more.


United Way of Salt Lake operates a 24-hour help line that connects callers to local food programs, housing assistance, health care resources and mental health support. 

Dial 2-1-1 from your phone at any time.

You can also email or text 898-211 to chat with a person at 2-1-1 services.


For a mom looking for a Utah-based support group, therapist, or other provider type:

  • Visit – The resources listed offer online services. This means they do therapy online, or offer support groups online.
  • Free Utah-based support group, every Thursday through St. Mark’s Hospital from 10-11:30 a.m. online
    • Download WebEx meetings on phone or other device, and type in the below information to join
    • Meeting ID: 625 927 491
    • Password: momsmatter


Free Counseling

The Utah Strong Recovery Project offers residents free support. Counselors are available to talk through your anxiety, loneliness, or worry. Open 7 a.m.-  7 p.m. Call/text: 385-386-2289. Email:

Intermountain Emotional Support Line: 833-442-2211

If you are having thoughts of suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) or go to

Are you a parent that needs emotional assistance? Contact the National Parent Helpline at 855-427-2736.

Free, anonymous assessment

Concerned about yourself or someone you know and love? Visit and take a free assessment.


Do you need help paying for child care? 

Child care assistance programs, through the Utah Department of Workforce Services, help parents cover the cost of child care. Apply online on a desktop computer:

Kids in Care

Unemployed and need child care while you job search? The Kids in Care program reimburses child care providers for caring for children while parents engage in formal job search activities, if you meet certain requirements.

If you are a refugee and need to find child care, need child care assistance, or would like to become a professional child care provider, please call Abby at 801-326-4399.



Landlord-Tenant Mediation

If you're having difficulties with a landlord, Utah Community Action can provide Landlord-Tenant Mediation services. 

Call 801-359-2444 Monday–Thursday from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.

Know of other services we missed? Email

Salt Lake County Searching for Southwest Residents, Women, POC to Fill Planning Commission Seats

February 12, 2021

Share on Facebook Tweet This Email This

Seeking Planning Commission Applicants - West side.jpg


What is the Planning Commission? 

It’s a volunteer board that makes recommendations to the County Council on general plans and zoning ordinances (and makes decisions on subdivision applications, conditional uses, and more).

How many people serve on the Planning Commission?

Planning Commission seats include: 

  • 4 members from the unincorporated areas of Salt Lake County
  • 3 members from any area or municipality of Salt Lake County 
  • 2 alternate members from any area of Salt Lake County  

Who can apply? 

Any full-time Salt Lake County resident interested in serving their community can apply for a seat on the Planning Commission.

The Planning Commission is in need of residents from the southwest communities of Salt Lake County (such as Herriman, Riverton, or South Jordan) to apply so that those communities can be represented.

The Planning Commission also needs more female residents interested to apply, as well as members of diverse communities and people of color.

Those with experience in these areas are encouraged to apply:

  • architecture,
  • engineering,
  • law,
  • planning,
  • landscape architecture,
  • real estate,
  • Great Salt Lake & wetlands,
  • land development,
  • transportation, or
  • government

You do not have to have experience in these areas, however, to apply.

When does the commission meet? 

Typically one day a month (usually Wednesdays) from 8:30 to 10 a.m. Additional meetings may take place for large projects.

Members serve for three-year terms.

How do I apply? 

  1. Apply online at
  2. Fill out a conflict of interest form at
  3. Email a resume of related experience to Wendy Gurr  ( or Jake Young (

How Can I Learn More?

Listen to past public meetings, and look for future scheduled meetings at Utah's Public Notice Website.

Residents interested can also reach out to Wendy Gurr or Jake Young to discuss the responsibilities, time commitment, and work.