Hardship Tax Abatement
- You can receive an abatement of up to the lesser of the maximum homeowner's credit (see table #1 below) or 50% of any remaining tax due after deduction of any other relief.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien as defined in 8 U.S.C. Sec. 1641.
- You must be the owner of record as of January 1 of the application year.
- No age restriction.
- You must live in the residence for which relief is requested for at least 10 months of the year relief is applied for.
- Your total household income generally cannot exceed the amount provided in statute. See table for income details.
- You must include a signed statement setting forth the facts to support eligibility, including inability to pay the tax assessed.
- You must file an application with the Salt Lake County Treasurer by September 1 unless the filing deadline is extended.
Indigent and Hardship Abatement Table for 2021
NOTE: this table is the same as the Circuit Breaker Abatement Table but you must use the second table to adjust for the number of family members living in the household.
|If 2020 household income is:||2021 Homeowner's credit is:|
Table #2: Adjustment Table for Number of Family Members
|Additional allowance for each member of household||$4,480|
|Maximum relief||50% of tax levied to a maximum of $1,067|
Application Requirements for Hardship Abatement
- Complete copy of 2020 Federal Income Tax Return including all attachments and schedules for each household member required to file.
- 2020 yearly statement of benefits (form SSA-1099) for each household member who received Social Security benefits.
- If you do not file a 2020 Federal Income Tax Return please send copies of all 1099's (Social Security, pensions, interest, dividends, IRA, 401(k) or 457 withdrawals, and any other miscellaneous payments) issued to each household member by a financial institution or other payer.
- If you are a qualified alien as defined in § U.S.C., Section 1641 and lawfully present in the United States, please provide your Alien Registration Number and copies of your immigration documents.
- Copies of year-end bank statements(s); broker account statement(s); IRA, 401(k), 457 and other retirement account statement(s).
- Valuation of other real estate owned, closing documents, etc.
- Download Application Form
Contact the Salt Lake County Treasurer's Office at 385-468-8300 and select option 2 to reach the Tax Relief Division.