The vision of Salt Lake County’s Urban Farming is to create and promote a sustainable food system in our region by increasing the amount of nutritious, healthy food that is produced locally.
Urban Farming Initiatives:
- Provide resources and technical assistance to local producers
- Offer programs to increase local food production and food access to disadvantaged populations
- Create opportunities for our residents to understand where and how their food is produced and sourced
With our vital agricultural lands vanishing at an alarming rate, Salt Lake County Urban Farming integrates ecological, biological, economic, and social concerns by providing opportunities for our community to successfully create solutions for sustainable food production in an urban landscape. Our programs are models for alternative urban land use, connecting people to their food, their environment, and each other.
- Preserve agricultural land to meet the nutritional needs of present and future generations and support local farmers
- Protect our local food supply
- Better utilize county lands
- Provide agricultural-based economic development opportunities
- Preserve vistas and landscapes
- Promote a healthy lifestyle and improved nutrition along the Wasatch Front