Tier I or Large Cultural Organizations
The Zoo, Arts & Parks (ZAP) Program provides funding for twenty-two large arts and cultural organizations under Tier I. This funding is available to organizations with three-year qualifying expenditures averaging $390,000. Organizations that receive Zoo, Arts & Parks funding in Tier I enhance economic development for the entire state, have professional staff, and often serve as ambassadors to Utah. Their activities are available to all Salt Lake County residents and visitors.
2024 TIER I + ZOOLOGICAL APPLICATION DUE DATE: WEDNESDAY, MAY 31 AT 5:00 PM
Organizations funded in Tier I for the 2023 cycle:
- Ballet West
- Discovery Gateway
- Hale Centre Theatre
- Natural History Museum of Utah
- Pioneer Theatre Company
- Red Butte Garden
- Repertory Dance Theatre
- Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company
- Salt Lake Acting Company
- Salt Lake Arts Council
- Salt Lake Film Society
- Spy Hop
- Tanner Dance
- Utah Arts Alliance
- Utah Arts Festival
- Utah Film Center
- Utah Humanities
- Utah Museum of Contemporary Art
- Utah Museum of Fine Art
- Utah Symphony | Utah Opera
- Wasatch Community Gardens
The 2024 Tier I + Zoological grant application will open April 3, 2023. Please refer to the Apply tab for more information.
Applications are carefully reviewed by our Tier I Advisory Board. The board makes funding recommendations to the County Council. Once the County Council approves the funding recommendations, ZAP staff will invite the recommended organizations to sign contracts. The percentage of funding each organization receives is based on qualifying expenditures. This process takes almost a full year.
- Application Open Date: Monday, April 3, 2023
- Application Due Date: Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 5:00 PM
- Review by Volunteer Advisory Board: June-October 2023
- Advisory Board Recommendations: November 2023
- County Council Approval: December 2023
- Contracting: January 2024
- First Payments: June 2024
|Must be||501(c)3 organization|
|Minimum Budget Size||$390,000 (3-year average)|
|Miscellaneous||Must have main office in Salt Lake County|
|Financial Requirements||3 years of audited financial statements|
|Type of Organizations Funded||Must be an arts, botanical, or cultural organization. See complete list of funded disciplines.|
|Funding||Based on qualifying expenditures after Advisory Board review and recommendation|
|Note: If you apply, but are not recommended for Tier I funding, you ARE eligible to apply for Tier II funding.|
View the Tier I Advisory Board Scoring Criteria
2024 TIER I + ZOOLOGICAL APPLICATION DUE DATE: WEDNESDAY, MAY 31 at 5:00 PM
2024 Tier I + Zoological Application Workshop
The 2024 Tier I + Zoological Application Workshop will be held on April 14, 2023 from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM. Please RSVP using the link below.
RSVP for ZAP 2024 Tier I + Zoo Application Webinar RSVP
Submit an Application
APPLY HERE: ZAP 2024 Tier I + Zoological Application
If your organization is eligible and you've attended an application workshop, it's time to apply for funding. The 2024 Tier I + Zoological Application must be submitted online through ZoomGrants by Wednesday, May 31 at 5:00 PM.
Starting Your Application
You will submit your ZAP 2024 Tier I + Zoological Application through ZoomGrants.com.
- If you already have a ZoomGrants account: Open the link below and log into your existing ZoomGrants account in sign-in fields in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- If you do not already have an account: Open the application link below and click "New ZoomGrants Account" on the right-hand side to create your account. Then click the orange 'Apply' button for the ZAP 2024 Tier I + Zoological Application under the 'Open Programs' list.
- There have been some changes made to this year's application. Please be sure to read all application help text before answering.
You can only access the application for the first time through the button above.
After you have opened the application through this link and started your application, you MUST access your application through your ZoomGrants log-in (https://www.zoomgrants.com/login) in the future.
PLEASE NOTE: Only use this link to access the application the first time. Using this link after you have already started an application will create a new/duplicate application. You can access your existing application on the dashboard of your ZoomGrants log in.
Once your organization is recommended for funding, you must enter into a contract with Salt Lake County. Our contracts are approved by the district attorney's office.
- View a Sample Contract
- Submit an event on NowPlayingUtah.com
- Send your Press Release to PRZAP@slco.org
- Invite the Tier I Advisory Board to your Events
- Invite the Elected Officials to your Events
- Contractual Media Obligations Guide
- Sign up for the ZAP newsletter
How to Sign your 2023 Contract
Watch the 2023 Contract Signing Webinar
Your 2022 Evaluation will be submitted as part of your 2022 Application. Please contact ZAP staff if you have any questions.