Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Sherrie Swensen

Sherrie Swensen

Salt Lake County Clerk

Seal of the Salt Lake County Clerk's office



Due to COVID-19, marriage licenses will only be issued by appointment.  (We will not issue marriage licenses to walk-in customers.)  For information on obtaining a marriage license, email and leave your name and phone number or call 385-468-7300. A clerk will return your call and discuss the process for you to obtain a marriage license by appointment. Couples should still fill out an online application. The online application will be available to the clerk staff so there is no need to print it. The license fee is $50.00 and can be paid by MasterCard, AMEX or Visa. ( Cash will NOT be accepted. )

  • The license fee is non-refundable and includes two certified copies.


For a certified copy of your marriage license, please email and make a request leaving your name, date of marriage and telephone number where you can reached. You may also call 385-468-7300.  Copies will be mailed out as soon as possible.


Due to COVID-19, wedding ceremonies will not be scheduled in the County Clerk’s Office until further notice. 

  • Refer to “Who May Perform a Ceremony” on our website for options for officiators.

Marriage Licenses

How to Apply

Due to COVID-19 an appointment is needed in order for a marriage license to be issued.  Please refer to the instructions and contact information at the top of the page to make an appointment. Couples should fill out an online application. The online application will be available to the clerk staff so there is no need to print it. Both parties need to be present and should have a valid driver’s license or identification. The license fee is $50.00 and can be paid by check, money order , MasterCard, AMEX or Visa. ( Cash will NOT be accepted )

  • The license fee is non-refundable and includes two certified copies.

When to Apply

Marriage licenses may be used immediately upon purchase, but must be used within 30 days from the date of purchase at which time the license expires. Refunds and extensions cannot be granted.

  • A license issued in Salt Lake County may be used in any county in the State of Utah.
  • Identification and proof of age is required of all persons.
  • If a divorce has been granted within the last 30 days, you need to provide a certified copy of the divorce decree.
  • For information on a divorce filed in the State of Utah, call the Third District Court, Divorce Division (801) 238-7480.
Marriage License Copies

Certified copies of your marriage license are available upon request in-person, by mail, or by phone.

Request by Mail

If requesting by mail, please include:

  • Name of person requesting copy
  • Address of requestor
  • Name of applicants with the name used at the time of application.
  • Date and place of marriage
  • License number if possible
  • $2.00 per uncertified copy
    check or money order payable to the Office of Sherrie Swensen 
  • $3.00 per phone order Visa, AMEX, or MasterCard only 
  • $5.00 per certified copy (legal copy) check or money order payable to the Office of Sherrie Swensen

Mail your request to:

Salt Lake County Clerk, Marriage Division
2001 South State Street, Suite S2 200
PO Box 144575
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4575

Request by Phone (385) 468-7300

If requested by phone you must:

  • Be one of the spouses listed on the marriage license
  • Provide the year of marriage and the names as they appear on the license
  • Provide a return phone number
  • Provide a Visa or MasterCard with the following information:
    • Name as it appears on the card
    • The credit card statement address
    • Credit card number
    • The authorizing number on the back of the card
    • Expiration date
Who May Perform a Marriage Ceremony?

According to Utah Code Title 30, Marriages may be solemnized by the following persons only:

    • Ministers, rabbis, or priests of any religious denomination who are:
      • in regular communion with any religious society; and
      • 18 years of age or older;
    • Native American spiritual advisors;
    • The governor;
    • The lieutenant governor;
    • mayors of municipalities or county executives;
    • A justice, judge, or commissioner of a court of record;
    • A judge of a court not of record of the state;
    • Judges or magistrates of the United States;
    • The county clerk of any county in the state,
    • The president of the Senate;
    • The speaker of the House of Representatives; or
    • A judge or magistrate who holds office in Utah when retired, under rules set by the Supreme Court.

DESIGNEE (A couple can select a person to be authorized to perform their wedding ceremony.)

Utah Code Title 30 allows for a County Clerk Designee to solemnize marriages. This option can be utilized to have someone authorized by the County Clerk to officiate at a single marriage ceremony within the State of Utah. For information on a designee to perform your wedding ceremony, email or call 385-468-7300.


Judges Willing to Travel to Perform a Marriage Ceremony
District Court Judges

Frederic Oddone
(801) 560-2739

Justice Court Judges

Daniel F. Bertch
(801) 424-3800 / email
1020 E Pioneer Road, Draper City, UT 84020

Randy B. Birch
(435) 671-2555 / (435) 654-1662 / email
75 North Main Street, Heber City, UT 84032
Performs in Spanish

Augustus G. Chin
(801) 273-9731
4580 S 2300 E, Holladay, Utah 84117
Performs in Spanish

Shauna Graves-Robertson
(801) 468-2528
2001 S State Street, Suite S4200, Salt Lake City, Utah 84190

Ronald Kunz
(801) 256-2290

Michael W. Kwan
(801) 963-0268
2600 W Taylorsville Blvd, Taylorsville, Utah 84118

Sydney Magid
(801) 535-6437 / (801) 891-3337 / email
333 S 200 E, Salt Lake City, UT 84111

Scott Mickelson
801-573-8493 / email
400 S 2222 W, Bluffdale, Utah 84065

Jeanne Robison
(801) 535-6443
333 S 200 E, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

George F. Vo-Duc
(801) 503-7144
7505 S Holden St, Midvale, UT 84047

Ronald C. Wolthuis
(801) 567-1216
655 W Center Street, Midvale, Utah 84047

Senior Justice Court Judges

Joanne Rigby
(801) 263-7877

Mutual Commitment Registry
What is the Salt Lake County Mutual Commitment Registry?

This registry creates a way for Salt Lake County to recognize relationships of mutual commitment, support, and caring. Governmental entities, employers and businesses can readily access and use the registry, if they choose to do so, to determine eligibility for benefits.

Registry Forms and Ordinance
General Information Regarding the Mutual Commitment Registry:
What you need to file a Declaration of Mutual Commitment -
  1. Two individuals, 18 years of age or older
  2. Please bring ID when you come into the office to file your Declaration.
  3. You must bring with you two of the following four types of documentation:
    • A joint loan obligation, mortgage, lease or joint ownership of real property or a vehicle
    • A life insurance policy, retirement benefits account, or will or trust of one declarant designating the other declarant as beneficiary thereto, or will or trust of one declarant which designates the other declarant as executor or successor trustee
    • A mutually granted power of attorney for purposes of healthcare or financial management
    • Proof showing that one declarant is authorized to sign for purposes of the other declarant’s bank or credit account
  4. The declarants must share a primary residence.
  5. You will need to complete the Declaration form.
  6. If you have previously filed a Declaration, it must be six months since you also filed a notice of termination for that mutual commitment.
  7. The filing fee is $30 and can be paid with Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, check or money order.
  8. Upon the filing of the Declaration and payment of the fee, you will be issued 2 certified copies of the completed Declaration.
When to file an Amended Declaration of Mutual Commitment -

If you move or change your mailing address, please update your Declaration of Mutual Commitment. An amendment form is available in the Clerk’s Office. There is no fee for filing an amended Declaration. 

Notice of Termination of Mutual Commitment
  1. One or both declarants must sign the Notice. If only one declarant signs, he/she must affirm that they sent a copy of the notice to the other party.
  2. No fee is charged. If the declarant(s) would like certified copies of the notice, a certified copy will be issued to each party.
Use of Mutual Commitment Registry

Salt Lake County Ordinance, Chapter 2.10, sets forth the uses for the Mutual Commitment Registry.  Those uses include:

All facilities owned or operated by the County and services provided by the County shall allow those listed on the Mutual Commitment Registry, and his or her children, to be included in any rights and privileges accorded a spouse and children for purposes of use and access to County facilities and services.

The Mutual Commitment Registry may be made available to County offices and departments, other governmental entities, private businesses, and non-profit entities, and other associations to verify the status of persons listed on the Registry.

Individuals requesting a marriage license who are 16 or 17 years of age

(Note: The age difference between both parties to the marriage must be less than seven years.)

  • Must provide a certified birth certificate and have parental or legal guardian consent to be married.
  • The parent or legal guardian must give sworn consent in-person at the time of application and must have proper identification.
  • Must provide a certified birth certificate and have parental consent to be married.
  • They must obtain written authorization from a judge of the court exercising juvenile jurisdiction in the county where either party to the marriage resides or a court commissioner as permitted by rule of the Judicial Council.
  • The judge or court commissioner shall require that both parties to the marriage complete premarital counseling. This requirement may be waived if premarital counseling is not reasonably available.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced, consent shall be given by the parent having legal custody of the minor as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk.
  • If the parents of the minor are divorced and have been awarded joint custody of the minor, consent shall be given by the parent having physical custody of the minor the majority of the time as evidenced by an oath of affirmation to the clerk.
  • If the minor is not in the custody of a parent, the legal guardian shall provide the consent and provide proof of guardianship by court order as well as an oath of affirmation.
First Cousins

First cousins may marry if they are 65 years of age or older. If they are between 55 and 64 years of age, the district court in the county where they reside must find that either person is incapable of reproduction in order for them to be married.

Qualifications: Any persons related to each other within and not including the fifth degree of consanguinity, except for cousins as stated above, may not be married.

Getting Married at the Clerk's Office

Due to COVID-19, There Will Not Be Wedding Ceremonies Scheduled in the County Clerk’s Office Until Further Notice

The Clerk's Office also performs in-office marriage ceremonies

  • By appointment only: (385) 468-7300
  • $50.00 fee

  • Two witnesses over the age of 18 are required for all ceremonies.

  • We accept check, money order, MasterCard, AMEX, or Visa.

  • Call (385) 468-7300 to make an appointment.