For Health Care Providers
The Salt Lake County Health Department STD Clinic is a comprehensive sexual health clinic whose staff is specially trained in the diagnosis and treatment of STDs, including industry-standard HIV testing.
We are happy to assist you in providing optimal care to your patients; our two nurse practitioners and three nurses are available to consult on any STD issue you may encounter.
Lab and Testing
We can test for many STDs, including syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, and herpes IgG for type 1 and 2. We also offer the Herpes PCR test.
Other available tests include hepatitis B surface antigen and hepatitis C antibody. We also offer the hepatitis C NAAT test for confirmation of hepatitis C infection, and we are planning to offer in the near future a more sensitive test for trichomoniasis than the wet mount.
Our small lab is CLIA certified and allows us to do urinalysis, pregnancy testing, and gram staining for men.
State law requires that the diagnosis of many STDs be reported to the health department. Unless otherwise noted, the diagnosis must be reported within 3 working days by phone or online. This includes:
- Syphilis (must be reported immediately by phone)
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
To report a disease to us, use our reporting form, or call 385-468-8888.
- Antibiotic Treatment of Gonorrhea
- Azithromycin Failure in Mycoplasma genitalium Urethritis
- Video:Extragenital Testing for Gonorrhea and Chlamydia in MSMs
- CDC Grand Rounds: Reducing the Burden of HPV-Associated Cancer and Disease
- Update to CDC’s Sexually Transmitted Diseases Treatment Guidelines, 2010:
Oral Cephalosporins No Longer a Recommended Treatment for Gonococcal Infections
- SLCoHD STD Standing Orders
- Utah Department of Health HIV/STD Surveillance