Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate


Regulating Noise

In Salt Lake County, the health department works with local law enforcement agencies to enforce the county’s noise regulation.

In general, the noise regulation prohibits loud noise at night between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. The regulation also sets limits for extremely loud noise during daytime hours.

Certain activities and situations are exempt from the noise regulation, such as government-operated snow removal activities and construction work that receives a temporary noise permit from the health department.

To report loud noise from a party, from fireworks outside of designated holidays, or from another unusual circumstance, contact your local police through a non-emergency number (do NOT call 911 unless it is a life-threatening emergency).

To report a barking dog, contact your local animal control agency.

To report routine excessive noise, such as from construction activities or large equipment, click the button below:


Fireworks are allowed in Salt Lake County:

  • On July 2-5 and July 22-25 from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. , except on July 4 and July 24 when the hours are 11:00 a.m. to midnight. 
  • On December 31 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. the following day.
  • On Chinese New Year from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. the following day.

Local municipalities and fire departments may impose additional fireworks restrictions, including geographic areas where fireworks are prohibited, so check with your city or fire department before lighting fireworks.

Noise Permits

Temporary noise permits are $175 and must be obtained at least 10 days before the noise begins. Applications received less than 10 days in advance are subject to a $55 late fee.

Temporary noise permits are valid only at the location stated on the application and only for the length of time approved by the department.

USE ONLY THE FREE ADOBE ACROBAT READER TO COMPLETE AND SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION. Web browser PDF viewers will NOT properly submit your application.

To apply for a temporary noise permit, complete the Temporary Noise Permit application and submit, along with the required fee, to:

Environmental Health Division
Sanitation & Safety Bureau
788 East Woodoak Lane (5380 South)
Murray, UT 84107
Fax: 385-468-3836

For questions, contact a noise specialist at 385-468-3835.

Salt Lake County Health Department
General Information  
Phone: (385) 468-4100