Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Salt Lake County Regional Development News

Are you a working parent in Salt Lake County who needs support?

February 19, 2021

Email This

Pandemic Working Parents.png

Are you a working parent in Salt Lake County who needs a little extra support during the pandemic?

You're not alone. Here are a variety of services available to residents, from housing assistance, food, health care, and more.


United Way of Salt Lake operates a 24-hour help line that connects callers to local food programs, housing assistance, health care resources and mental health support. 

Dial 2-1-1 from your phone at any time.

You can also email or text 898-211 to chat with a person at 2-1-1 services.


For a mom looking for a Utah-based support group, therapist, or other provider type:

  • Visit – The resources listed offer online services. This means they do therapy online, or offer support groups online.
  • Free Utah-based support group, every Thursday through St. Mark’s Hospital from 10-11:30 a.m. online
    • Download WebEx meetings on phone or other device, and type in the below information to join
    • Meeting ID: 625 927 491
    • Password: momsmatter


Free Counseling

The Utah Strong Recovery Project offers residents free support. Counselors are available to talk through your anxiety, loneliness, or worry. Open 7 a.m.-  7 p.m. Call/text: 385-386-2289. Email:

Intermountain Emotional Support Line: 833-442-2211

If you are having thoughts of suicide, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 (TALK) or go to

Are you a parent that needs emotional assistance? Contact the National Parent Helpline at 855-427-2736.

Free, anonymous assessment

Concerned about yourself or someone you know and love? Visit and take a free assessment.


Do you need help paying for child care? 

Child care assistance programs, through the Utah Department of Workforce Services, help parents cover the cost of child care. Apply online on a desktop computer:

Kids in Care

Unemployed and need child care while you job search? The Kids in Care program reimburses child care providers for caring for children while parents engage in formal job search activities, if you meet certain requirements.

If you are a refugee and need to find child care, need child care assistance, or would like to become a professional child care provider, please call Abby at 801-326-4399.



Landlord-Tenant Mediation

If you're having difficulties with a landlord, Utah Community Action can provide Landlord-Tenant Mediation services. 

Call 801-359-2444 Monday–Thursday from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m.– 5 p.m.

Know of other services we missed? Email

Salt Lake County Searching for Southwest Residents, Women, POC to Fill Planning Commission Seats

February 12, 2021

Email This

Seeking Planning Commission Applicants - West side.jpg


What is the Planning Commission? 

It’s a volunteer board that makes recommendations to the County Council on general plans and zoning ordinances (and makes decisions on subdivision applications, conditional uses, and more).

How many people serve on the Planning Commission?

Planning Commission seats include: 

  • 4 members from the unincorporated areas of Salt Lake County
  • 3 members from any area or municipality of Salt Lake County 
  • 2 alternate members from any area of Salt Lake County  

Who can apply? 

Any full-time Salt Lake County resident interested in serving their community can apply for a seat on the Planning Commission.

The Planning Commission is in need of residents from the southwest communities of Salt Lake County (such as Herriman, Riverton, or South Jordan) to apply so that those communities can be represented.

The Planning Commission also needs more female residents interested to apply, as well as members of diverse communities and people of color.

Those with experience in these areas are encouraged to apply:

  • architecture,
  • engineering,
  • law,
  • planning,
  • landscape architecture,
  • real estate,
  • Great Salt Lake & wetlands,
  • land development,
  • transportation, or
  • government

You do not have to have experience in these areas, however, to apply.

When does the commission meet? 

Typically one day a month (usually Wednesdays) from 8:30 to 10 a.m. Additional meetings may take place for large projects.

Members serve for three-year terms.

How do I apply? 

  1. Apply online at
  2. Fill out a conflict of interest form at
  3. Email a resume of related experience to Wendy Gurr  ( or Jake Young (

How Can I Learn More?

Listen to past public meetings, and look for future scheduled meetings at Utah's Public Notice Website.

Residents interested can also reach out to Wendy Gurr or Jake Young to discuss the responsibilities, time commitment, and work.

Salt Lake County HOME funds secure help for domestic violence survivors and unhoused like Joan

February 05, 2021

Email This

My Post (11).png

Joan* and her three children entered a YWCA Utah safety shelter in 2020 in attempt to get away from her abusive husband.

While at the YWCA, she was able to connect with The Road Home and move out through the Rapid Rehousing Program into a two-bedroom rental.

Salt Lake County has contracted with The Road Home to provide $300,000 in short-term rental assistance services, from SLCo's HOME funds, to low-income residents. When an individual, like Joan, applies, The Road Home processes the application, helps the household find a unit, and complete a virtual inspection of the unit. Payments then go directly to the property owner, covering security deposits, rent, and/or utilities.

However, Joan was struggling with her mental health which, was affecting her ability to do daily tasks. Her time was up on the grant that she moved out on, however she needed more time to stabilize.

Because of the County's grant, The Road Home was able to extend Joan's time in the housing program.

She has now graduated from her mental health treatment program. She has a full-time job and has been able to finalize her divorce from her abuser. She has also been able to find therapy for all three of her children.

"Stories like Joan's show why it is important to continue with this program, which prevents homelessness or moves the household from being homeless," Randy Jepperson, Salt Lake County Housing Manager, said.

While in the program Joan has made great strides and feels she is able to live independently. She has expressed appreciation for the help she has received and feels she would not be where she is now without the extra time and assistance she was given in the housing program.

If you're in an abusive situation and need help, contact YWCA Utah at 801-236-3370 or walk-in Monday-Friday 9 a.m.-4 p.m. at 310 E. 300 South, Salt Lake City, UT 84111. For other types of assistance, call 2-1-1.

*Joan's name has been changed for privacy and safety reasons.

West General Plan Draft Vision Survey Report: What SLCo Residents Told Us

January 29, 2021

Email This

SLCo West General Plan Survey#2 Summary_Page_1.jpg

A new report shows 68% of Salt Lake County residents surveyed in the Fall of 2020 support Salt Lake County's draft vision for the West General Plan, which aims for sustainable growth.

The West General Plan, which is currently under development, will serve as a foundation for future guidance in land uses and jurisdictions. It will help officials and residents prepare for growth and land conservation in western unincorporated Salt Lake County over the next 50 years.

The report generated from survey results highlights findings from 2,066 responses provided by respondents, and nearly 4,000 individual comments made. County staff has reviewed every single survey result, comment, and suggestion to help refine the West General Plan. 

Among the draft vision statements for the West General Plan that the public weighed in on are:

  • Land Use
  • Environment
  • Recreation
  • Economy
  • Transportation
  • Housing
  • Utilities & Public Safety

By Utah State law, County government is responsible for land use planning in unincorporated areas, such as areas of the Wasatch Canyons or west of U-111 Highway.

Salt Lake County is appreciative of the magnitude of participation from the public who is invested in the future of the western unincorporated areas of Salt Lake County. To more transparently engage with residents during this process, this full report of survey results is available to the public.

To read a summary of the survey report, or the full survey report, visit

SLCo West General Plan Survey#2 Summary_Page_2.jpg