Skip to main content

Hardship Relief


  • You can receive an abatement of up to the lesser of the maximum homeowner's credit (see table #1 below) or 50% of any remaining tax due after deduction of any other relief.

Eligibility Requirements

  • You must be a U.S. citizen or a qualified alien as defined in 8 U.S.C. Sec. 1641.
  • You must be the owner of record as of January 1 of the application year.
  • No age restriction.
  • You must live in the residence for which relief is requested for at least 10 months of the year relief is applied for.
  • Your total household income generally cannot exceed the amount provided in statute. See table for income details.
  • You must include a signed statement setting forth the facts to support eligibility, including inability to pay the tax assessed.
  • You must file an application with the Salt Lake County Treasurer by September 1 unless the filing deadline is extended.

Indigent and Hardship Abatement Table for 2022

NOTE: this table is the same as the Circuit Breaker Abatement Table but you must use the second table to adjust for the number of family members living in the household.

If 2021 household income is: 2022 Homeowner's credit is:
$0 — $12,173 $1,110
$12,174 — $16,233 $974
$16,234 — $20,290 $842
$20,291 — $24,348 $643
$24,349 — $28,408 $512
$28,409 — $32,225 $313
$32,226 — $35,807 $179
More than $35,807 $0


Adjustment Table for Number of Family Members

Household resources   $35,807
 Additional allowance for each member of household   $4,480
Maximum relief 50% of tax levied to a maximum of $1,110

Application Requirements

  • Complete copy of 2021 Federal Income Tax Return including all attachments and schedules for each household member required to file.
  • 2021 yearly statement of benefits (form SSA-1099) for each household member who received Social Security benefits.
  • If you do not file a 2021 Federal Income Tax Return please send copies of all 1099's (Social Security, pensions, interest, dividends, IRA, 401(k) or 457 withdrawals, and any other miscellaneous payments) issued to each household member by a financial institution or other payer.
  • If you are a qualified alien as defined in § U.S.C., Section 1641 and lawfully present in the United States, please provide your Alien Registration Number and copies of your immigration documents.
  • Copies of year-end bank statements(s); broker account statement(s); IRA, 401(k), 457 and other retirement account statement(s).
  • Valuation of other real estate owned, closing documents, etc.