Clark Planetarium offers resources and lesson plans for teachers to use in their classroom. We also offer several professional development workshops for teachers.
Professional Development Opportunities
Clark Planetarium offers several professional development workshops for teachers. Workshops are typically scheduled through district science specialists and can be taught on site for a single district or several together. Some workshops can only be scheduled if funding is available and may offer resource kits for teachers to take back to their schools. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Seasons and Moon Phases – Curriculum for Utah 6th grade SEEd 6.1.1
Now updated for 6th grade SEEd standards, this workshop includes training on using the “Seasons and Moon Phases” teacher resource kits distributed several years ago. Teachers will learn how to use the kits to demonstrate the phenomena of seasons and moon phases, then guide their students in investigations of the causes.
To find out who your district contact is for the “Seasons and Moon Phases” teacher resource kits that are accessible to you, contact email@example.com.
Kinesthetic Astronomy – Curriculum for Utah 6th grade SEEd 6.1.1
Learn how to act out the motions of the Earth, Moon, and Sun system in this active and engaging workshop. Teachers will act as students in modeling the correct motions and appearances of the Moon and Sun in the sky. Students use their bodies to represent the Earth, with different features of the room representing the Sun and stars.
Electricity and Magnetism – Curriculum for Utah 5th grade Science standards 3 and 4
Experience several hands-on activities that allow students to explore static electric, current electric, and magnetic phenomena. Aligned to 3D science teaching, these activities give students tools to explore and model electric and magnetic fields.
Density – Curriculum for 6th grade SEEd 6.1, 6.2, and 6.3
This curriculum helps students develop an understanding of density – a core concept of standard 6.2. These lessons scaffold upward, starting with planets and moons (6.1.3), moving on to molecules and phase changes (6.2), and ending with the water cycle (6.3.1).
Universe Sandbox is an interactive physics-based space simulation. This “video game” program allows teachers and students to explore gravity and the movement of objects in space. In this workshop, Clark educators will introduce educators to the program, guide them in using the software for both demonstration and provide student-led lesson plans. Attending educators will each receive a license to install the software at their school.
Curriculum and Lessons
Clark Planetarium is offering digital versions below of the resources we distribute at our teacher professional development sessions. For questions about these materials, or to inquire about professional development opportunities, please contact us at 385-468-1248 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
6th grade Seasons and Moon Phase Activity Kits – updated for SEEd standards!
- MASTER Seasons and Moon Phases Kit Curriculum with Worksheets (PDF)
- MASTER Seasons and Moon Phases Kit Curriculum (PDF)
- Seasons Globes Data Sheet (PDF)
- Sun Altitude (PowerPoint)
- Season Graphing (Excel)
- Moon Phase Phenomena (PowerPoint)
- Eclipse Dates (Excel)
- Eclipses (PowerPoint)
Updated Instructions for Kinesthetic Astronomy Kit Activities
Resources for SEEd Density Activities
Some of the PowerPoint slides have notes with additional information.
Standard 6.1.3 – Structure of the Solar System
Standard 6.2.1 – Atoms and Molecules
Standard 6.2.2 – Heat Energy and Phase Changes
Standard 6.3.1 – The Water Cycle
- Activity 2 - Effects of Uneven Heating on Density (Word)
- Activity 3 – Cycling Water Through Earth Systems (PDF)
- Activity 3 - Water Cycle Worksheet (Word)
- Water Cycle Movie
Standard 6.3.3 – Heat and Atmospheric/Oceanic Circulation
5th grade Electricity and Magnetism Activity Kits
- EM Activity Instructions (PDF)
- Static Electricity (PPT)
- Magnetic Fields (PPT)
- Electric Circuits (PPT)
- Electromagnets (PPT)
- Magnets (PPT)
- Finding Directions on Earth (PPT)
- Static Electricity Worksheet (Word)
- Electromagnet worksheet (Word)
- Electric Current worksheet (Word)
- Magnetic Field Worksheet (PDF)
Universe Sandbox Lesson Plans
- Overview (Word)
- Lesson Plan (Word)
- Student Worksheet 1 v. 2 (Word)
- Student Worksheet 2 (Word)
- Object Logs (Excel)
Prepare your class for a field trip with an exploration guide and scavenger hunts for our exhibits. Each guide is targeted towards particular grade levels or a general audience.
- 3rd grade Exploration Guide and Scavenger Hunt (PDF), Key (PDF)
- 6th grade Exploration Guide and Scavenger Hunt (PDF), Key (PDF)
- Scavenger Hunt (General Public) (PDF)
- Scavenger Hunt (Parents with Young Children) (PDF)
- Extrasolar Planets Encyclopedia – Catalog of potential planets beyond our solar system
- Pluto & the New Horizons Mission home page
- Solar System Live – The interactive Orrery of the Web. You can view the entire Solar System, or just the inner planets (through the orbit of Mars)
- The Eight Planets – Multimedia Tour of the Solar System
- Telescope Information - Private site. Good general information on telescopes.
- Jet Propulsion Laboratories
- NASA – The gateway for all the space stuff. Look specifically at the “what’s new” section
- Hubble Space Telescope
- Hubble Space Telescope Science Institute – Great source for the latest images from Hubble
- Cassini: Voyage to Saturn
- Project Galileo
- NASA Worldview – browse up to date global satellite imagery
- NASA’s Eyes – an immersive app to explore the Solar System through NASA missions
- SOS Explorer – a mobile app version of Clark Planetarium’s Science on a Sphere global data sets
- EarthWindMap – More than just a map of the Earth’s wind patterns, users can view data on global weather and air patterns