Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Small Claims

The Small Claims division of the Salt Lake County Justice Court is designated to settle monetary legal issues and problems arising from contractual, service disputes and other claims.

  • The maximum amount you may sue for in a small claims action is $11,000.
  • Small Claims court is less formal and you do not need an attorney to represent you.
  • The filing fees are due at the time you file the affidavit.
  • A small claims court allows an individual or business to be compensated by a party who has not performed according to an agreement or who had committed some wrongdoing.
  • Small Claims cases are governed by Utah Code title 78, chapter 6. The rules for Small Claims can be found in the Utah Court Rules annotated, Utah Rules of Small Claims Procedure.
  • Small Claims Court is Usually held Thursdays at 9:00 am
Frequently Asked Question
Where do I file a Small Claims?

A small claims case must be filed in the justice court where the defendant resides or where the claim arose (where the events happened).

Why did I receive a Warrant for my arrest?

You where summoned for a Supplemental Hearing and you chose not to show.

What will happen if I do not appear for a Small Claims Hearing?

A default Judgment will be ordered.

Do I need an Attorney for a Small Claims Law Suit?

It would be up to you, however, an attorney is not necessary.

If I file in the wrong Jurisdiction will I get my filing fee back?

No. That is why you will need to make sure that you file in the proper Jurisdiction.

Will I be able to get Small Claims help or Legal Advice at the Court.

No. You are acting as your own attorney.


How to Collect on a Small Claims
Small Claims Fees

Fees must be paid to the order of: Salt Lake County Justice Court at the time a document is filed or a service is provided. If you cannot afford the fee, you can file an affidavit of impecuniosity. The court clerk will accept the filing or provide the service without charging the fee, but you will be required to provide financial information from which the court will later decide whether to waive all or part of the fee.

Entities other than the court also charge fees, which are not waived by the affidavit of impecuniosity. For example, the county sheriff, constable or private process server will charge a fee to serve papers. The county recorder will charge a fee to record a judgment. There may be others, but the most common small claims fees are as follows.

Affidavit or (Inter pleader Affidavit)
Claim of $2,000 or less
Affidavit or (Inter pleader Affidavit)
Claim of Greater than $2,000 and less than $7,500
Affidavit or (inter pleader Affidavit)
Claim of Greater then $7,500 and less than $11,000
Counter Affidavit
Claim of $2000 or less
Counter Affidavit
Greater than $2,000 and less than $7,500
Counter Affidavit
Greater than $7,500 and less than $11,000
Trial de novo - Appeal
Note: An additional $10 fee is payable to the justice court at the time the small claims notice of appeal is filed.
$225 to District Court
Abstract of Judgment $50 to District Court
Writ of Garnishment $50 to the court
$10 to the garnishee
Writ of Continuing Garnishment (wage) $50 to the court
$25 to the garnishee
Writ of Execution $50
Regular Copies $.25 per page
Certified Copies $4 for the certificate
$.50 per page

Non-Court Fees

Witness Fee
$18.50 for first day / $49 for subsequent days
Mileage at Current Federal rate over 50 miles one way.
Service of Process Fee / County Recorder Fee
Amount determined by statute or by the provider.