Javascript is required to view this site. Skip to main content
Text:    -   | Translate

Animal Services
511 West 3900 South  
Salt Lake City, UT 84123
Phone: (385) 468-7387
Fax: (385) 468-6028
Hours: By Appt Only

Closed Sundays and Holidays

24/hr Officer Dispatch:




How to license your pet:

By Mail

Mail in a filled-out copy of the Application Form
( with appropriate vaccination, sterilization, and microchip
certificates and License Fee) to the address on the form.

  • Applicants for senior citizen licenses must also include proof of age

  • Make checks out to: Salt Lake County 

In Person

Come on down to the shelter with your animal's paperwork and you can walk away with their license in-hand.


  1. First read through the details of online licensing (we cannot give refunds if you purchase the wrong license)

  2. Fill out the online application

  3. Pay the licensing fee with a valid debit or credit card (Visa, Mastercard, or American Express)

  4. Fax, email, mail, or bring in proof of vaccination, sterilization, microchip, and proof of age (for senior citizen licenses) to us (see below for contact information)

  5. When all paperwork has been received and the fees have been paid, your license and receipts will be mailed to you.

If paperwork is not received within 30 days, your license will expire and you'll need to restart the licensing process (and repay the licensing fees)


Continue to Online Licensing Portal

If you have questions about licensing please contact or call 385-468-7387.

If you live in a watershed area, you will need a specific Watershed Permit. Download a Watershed brochure for more information. 

Licensing FAQ

Who Needs to License with Salt Lake County Animal Services?
Bluffdale: all dogs must be licensed
Holladay: all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed
Midvale: all dogs cats, and ferrets must be licensed
Millcreek: all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed
Murray: all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed
Salt Lake City: all dogs and cats must be licensed
Salt Lake County Metro Townships: all dogs, cats, and ferrets must be licensed

***Pet owners must license by the time the pet is five months of age or within 30 days of moving into an area or acquiring the pet.***

Need licensing information for other animal control agencies in Utah?
Check out the links to local city offices/shelters.

A pet license has benefits for you, the pet owner.
  • A license is the best way to reunite you with your dog if he/she becomes lost
  • A pet wearing a license tag can quickly be identified and returned to you
  • If your pet is found by one of our officers seriously injured and you could not be immediately contacted, the license would guarantee that he/she would be taken to a veterinarian for emergency care

This can mean the difference between life and death for a badly injured animal, which unfortunately we receive almost daily at the shelter