Aimee Winder Newton
Aimee Winder Newton has served since 2014 and represents Taylorsville, Murray, West Jordan, and West Valley City on the Salt Lake County Council. She was a former 2020 Republican candidate for Utah Governor and was the first woman elected as chair of the Council.
Aimee works tirelessly to defend the quality of life in Salt Lake County while protecting tax dollars:
- Budget hawk’ who goes through the county budget, holding government accountable for every dime.
- Advocate for mental health resources, criminal justice reform and public safety.
- Founded and chairs the Salt Lake County Intergenerational Poverty Task Force, bringing together state, county, city and school districts working to break the cycle of poverty.
- Working on solutions for cleaner air, affordable housing, traffic mitigation and better jobs
Aimee has previously served as a planning commissioner, city communications director and executive for an energy company.
She graduated from the University of Utah, operated her small business for 20 years, and is a mom to four young adults. She and her husband, Matt, have been married for 28 years, and just got their first pet – a mini golden doodle. She loves to play the piano and travel with her family.
- Utah Association of Counties
- Wasatch Front Regional Council
- State of Utah Behavioral Health Crisis Response Commission
- Salt Lake County Behavioral Health
- Salt Lake County Intergenerational Poverty Task Force
- State of Utah Intergenerational Poverty Advisory Commission
- United Way’s Promised Partnership Regional Council
- Salt Lake Council of Governments
- Chamber West Board of Governors