Jim was first elected to the Salt Lake County Council as an At-Large member in 2000 and has continuously served in that position. He also served as Chair of the former Salt Lake County Commission from 1991-1994.
Currently, Jim is Chair of the Salt Lake Law Enforcement Service Area Board of Trustees and a member of the Board of the Unified Police Department.
Jim has worked as a consultant in the areas of energy resource development, waste management, and policy development. He was appointed by former Governor Scott M. Matheson to serve as Executive Director of the Utah Energy Office.
Jim’s wife, Glenda, owns the 15th Street Gallery, a small business in the 15th and 15th neighborhood of Salt Lake City.
In addition to his current public positions, Jim currently serves on the Board of the Utah Film Center.
He has previously served other organizations in the following capacities:
- Economic Development Corporation of Utah, Executive Board Member
- Salt Lake County Council of Governments, Chairman
- Utah Energy Conservation and Resource Council, Director
- Salt Lake Convention and Visitors Bureau, Executive Board Member
- Children’s Service Society, Board Member
- Sundance Institute Advisory Board Member
- Salt Lake Art Center Friends of Contemporary Art, Board Member
- Utah’s Hogle Zoo, Board Member
- Repertory Dance Theatre, Board Member
- Wasatch Front Waste and Recycling District, Trustee
- Central Utah Water Conservancy District, Trustee