Special Message from the Office of Diversity and Inclusion
As we experience a rise in racist attacks against people of Asian and Pacific Islander descent and women, we must bond to condemn intolerant behavior. The attacks have been fueled by hateful and ignorant rhetoric that threatened the safety and security of many families, communities, and businesses. In Salt Lake County our Asian and Pacific Islander communities bring a heart and spirit to our cultural umbrella, enrich our economic growth, and act as a pillar for our inclusive and welcoming county.
As a community, we must stand strong with Atlanta against hateful rhetoric and acts of violence. Salt Lake County is committed to the safety of our diverse communities and women, as attacks on them is an attack on all of us. Together we strive to grant our communities, businesses, and families the safety and support needed to flourish for they bring immeasurable value to our community.
Salt Lake County sends our deepest condolences to the friends and families of the victims. We stand in solidarity with the communities across the nation who feel the pain of this loss and who fear for their own safety and the safety of their families.
If you, your family, or someone you know have experienced xenophobia, discrimination, or harassment, please report the incident using the OCA – Asian Pacific American Advocates hate crime reporting tool at aapihatecrimes.org.
Mayor Jenny Wilson
March 17, 2021
On March 23, 2021 Mayor Jenny Wilson united with community leaders to denounce xenophobic attacks against our AAPI communities. In solidarity, we offer a roster of resources to support community conversations. If you missed the press conference, a recording of the event can be accessed via Facebook.
Call to Action
- Stay Safe From Hate - Safety Handbook
- Anti-Hate Safety Resources
- Languages: English, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Tagalog, Vietnamese
- Self-Defense Deck
- Languages: English, Burmese, Hmong, Khmer, Lao, Vietnamese
AAPI Hate Incident & Hate Crime Reporting
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- OCA - Asian Pacific American Advocates
- Council on American-Islamic Relations
Crisis Lines & Mental Health Resources
- Asian LifeNet Hotline
- Phone: (877) 990-8585
- Offerings: 24/7 hotline in Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, Korea, and Fujianese
- For: Asian Americans
- The Crisis Line
- Phone: (800) 273-TALK for English; (877) 990-8585 for Asian languages
- Offerings: Free, confidential counseling 24/7
- Crisis Text Line
- Text: Type HOME to 741741
- Offerings: Free, 24/7 text support line
- For: Those experiencing crisis
- Asian Peer Counseling
- Building Movement Project - On the Frontlines: Nonprofits Led by People of Color Confront COVID-19 and Structural Racism
- National Asian-American Pacific Islander Mental Health Association - Structural Racism and Psychiatry: online resources and book lists
- NBC News - Anti-racism resources to support Asian American, Pacific Islander community
- Stop AAPI Hate - Resource List
- Location: Online, offered monthly
- Type of Program: Anti-Asian Harassment Response and Bystander Training Series
- Bystander Intervention to Stop Anti-Asian/American Harassment & Xenophobia
- Bystander Intervention 2.0 – Conflict De-Escalation Training
- How to Respond to Harassment for People Experiencing Anti-Asian/American Harassment
- #WashTheHate: let's wash away the hate together
- Movement to promote solidarity in the face of both coronavirus and anti-Asian sentiment.
- 18 Million Rising - Stop Covid-19 Disinformation. Stop anti-Asian Violence (Petition)
- Tell Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to immediately shut down hate and misinformation about COVID-19 on their platforms.
- America for Americans: a History of Xenophobia in the United States. 2019. By Erika Lee
- They Called Us Enemy. 2019. By George Takei
- Minor Feelings: an Asian American Reckoning. 2020. By Cathy Park Hong
- Ghosts of Gold Mountain. 2019. By Gordon Chang
- Desert Diary: American Children Behind Barbed Wire. 2020. By Michael O. Tunnell
- On Gold Mountain. 1995. By Lisa See
- Citizen 13660. 1946. By Miné Okubo
- American Intolerance: Our Dark History of Demonizing Immigrants. 2018. By Robert Bartholomew
Chinatown Cultural Center
Chinese Railroad Worker Descendants Association
Filipino American National Historical Society, Utah Chapter
Utah Chapters of the Japanese American Citizens League (JACL)
Korean American Federation of Utah
National Tongan American Society
OCA Asian Pacific Islander American Advocates Utah
Pacific Islander Knowledge 2 Action Resources
Sagato Bakery & Cafe
TalaKoula 90.9FM KRCL
University of Utah Asian American Student Association
University of Utah Division of Ethnic Studies
Utah Asian Chamber of Commerce
Utah Indochinese Benevolence Society of Utah
Utah Muslim Civic League
Utah Pacific Islander Civic Engagement Coalition
Utah Pacific Islander Health Coalition
Utah State University Asian Student Association
United Chinese Association of Utah
Weber State University Asian Student Involvement Association
Weber State University The Ohana Association
Weber State University Center for Multicultural Excellence
Salt Lake County welcomes and supports the uniqueness and individuality of all residents, Salt Lake County employees and visitors to our community.
Diversity & Inclusion Vision Statement
We are a Government entity that creates, promotes, and sustains an inclusive work environment; where every Salt Lake County employee is treated with respect and dignity and is able to contribute to their fullest potential and perform at their highest level of performance.
Support and promote an inclusive community and government for all through dialogue, respect, action and celebration and bring about meaningful and sustainable change that unites and strengthens Salt Lake County.
Diversity & Inclusion Mission Statement
Enhance employees’ quality of work-life balance and promote an inclusive workforce based on respecting and valuing individual differences. This will improve workplace productivity and increase the quality of services delivered to the community.