Skip to main content

For Residents

One of the most important purchases a person or family can ever make is their home. At the Recorder’s Office we have several services and resources to help you research and protect your property while also learning about the Salt Lake County property tax system and the Recorder’s duties in Utah State Code.

Residents FAQ

You may see a parcel number also referred to as a serial number or tax ID number. A parcel number is assigned to each piece of property for assessing and taxing purposes and is used countywide to identify a piece of property.

A title search is done by a title company or title researcher licensed and bonded by the state. It is a record of a piece of property showing every document recorded on that property since it was patented. A title search is used to determine ownership of a property, liens or encumbrances, easements, or problems that may exists with the title on the property.

The ownership document is the deed you received when you purchased your property and you can obtain a copy of that document at our office. Clear title is not determined by the Recorder's Office. That information comes from a title search done by a title company or an attorney.

An attorney is suggested for legal counsel regarding filing liens or getting a lien removed from a property.

Contact the planning and zoning office in the city where the property is located. If your property is located in unincorporated Salt Lake County, call Municipal Services Planning and Zoning at (385) 468-6700.

The Recorder's Office does not have blank forms, assist in preparing documents, or notarize documents. It is suggested you contact a title company or legal counsel for assistance. Some office supply stores may have forms.

Yes. Having the exact address and/or parcel number is helpful. If you do not know the exact address, you can come into the office and point out the property on a map.

You can expect to receive your original documents back by mail in 2-3 weeks after we have it fully processed and imaged.

To meet the requirements of a legally zoned lot, the owners first have to contact the planning and zoning office in the local jurisdiction of the property. If approved by planning & zoning, parcels may be combined or split by the owner of record for taxation purposes.